Note: Writing Studies major students cannot minor in Technical Communications.
The Technical Communication minor offers written and oral communication courses applicable to all majors, professions and workplace situations, including courses relevant for students interested in pursuing careers in Law and Medicine. This minor is open to students from all majors.
Choose from a wide range of workplace-oriented topics, including Technical Communication, Scientific Writing, usability (UX), Cross-Cultural Communication Design, accessible, design, web design and visual rhetoric. While studying questions of social, environmental and disability justice in nonacademic settings, through this Technical Communication minor students enhance their credentials in their chosen major for the job market.
SIAS majors are designed to allow a student to earn a minor without additional credits beyond that required for graduation. With planning, many UW Tacoma majors will work well with the technical communication minor. See your program advisor for more information.
Technical Communication minor course requirements
The Technical Communication minor requires 25 credits. This minor is not open to students in the Writing Studies major.
All courses must be completed with a minimum grade of 2.0.
Required core courses (10 credits)
- TWRT 291 Technical Communication in the Workplace
Electives (15 credits)
- TCOM 320 Principles of Web Design
- TCOM 420 Advanced Web Design
- TWRT 330 Written and Visual Rhetoric
- TWRT 331 Writing in the Natural Sciences
- TWRT 350 Principles of User Centered Design
- TWRT 355 Usability Testing and Research
- TWRT 440 Cross-Cultural Communication Design
- TWRT 450 Principles of Accessible Design