Main page content

Class Standing

A student’s initial class standing is determined by the total number of transfer credits awarded by the University of Washington Tacoma, not by the number of years of college study or completion of an associate degree. The following table lists the required credits for each class:

First-year fewer than 45 credits
Sophomore 45-89 credits
Junior 90-134 credits
Senior 135 credits or more

Students should note that satisfying UW Tacoma graduation requirements depends not only on the number of credits completed (a minimum of 180) but also on completion of all program requirements.

Academic Advising

The University of Washington Tacoma advisors recognize academic advising to be a critical component of the educational experience of its undergraduate students. Through individual, collaborative relationships with academic advisors, students are best able to define and implement sound educational plans that are consistent with their personal values, goals and career plans.

Registration Eligibility

Continuing University of Washington Tacoma students who remain in good scholastic standing are allowed the opportunity to register each quarter at UW Tacoma as long as they maintain continuous enrollment (excluding summer quarter) or satisfy the guidelines of the quarter-off policy. Continuation must be in the same classification (undergraduate, post-baccalaureate or graduate) and at the same campus. After a student has earned a baccalaureate degree, he or she must apply for readmission as a post-baccalaureate, non-matriculated or graduate student before being allowed to register.

Newly admitted students and students readmitted to the same or a new classification (undergraduate, post-baccalaureate or graduate) or admitted to a different university campus are eligible to register during a specified time period. See Registration Periods.

Exceptions to the guarantee of registration eligibility include students under disciplinary action, students with a financial hold on their records and students failing to meet conditions of admission and immunization requirements, or not meeting program or university satisfactory progress policies. Additionally, continuing students who withdraw during the first week of two consecutive quarters (summer quarter not included) will not be eligible to register as continuing students for the third quarter and must reapply as former students returning to the university. If an undergraduate does not enroll for two or more quarters (not including summer quarter), he or she must reapply as a returning student using the online application process through the Office of Admissions.

Class Attendance

The University of Washington Tacoma reserves the right to drop students who have not attended class during the first week of the quarter to make space for other students waiting to enroll. However, a student should not assume that they will be automatically dropped from a course if they do not attend. It is the student's responsibility to drop the course through MyUW. Students who are registered for a course section but do not attend will be assigned a failing grade by the instructor.

Full-Time and Half-Time Status

  Full-Time Half-Time Less than Half-Time
Undergraduate 12 credits 6-11 credits 1-5 credits
Graduate 10 credits 5-9 credits 1-4 credits

To be classified as a full-time student by the University of Washington Tacoma, an undergraduate student must register for and complete at least 12 credits per quarter. A graduate student must register for and complete at least 10 credits per quarter.

To be classified as a half-time student by the university, an undergraduate must register for and complete at least six credits per quarter. A graduate student must register for and complete five credits per quarter.

Please note that financial aid and tuition rates do not necessarily correspond to the above credit requirements.

Quarter-Off Policy

Undergraduate students who have completed a quarter at the University of Washington Tacoma, may take the following quarter off and remain eligible to register during Registration Period I  for the subsequent quarter without reapplying as a returning student. Any quarter from which a student has completely withdrawn does not constitute a completed quarter. Summer quarter enrollment is not required to maintain continuous registration eligibility. The quarter-off policy is not available for graduate students; please see Graduate Student On-Leave Status.

Summer Quarter

Students should note that due to the shortened session, deadlines for fee payment and registration transactions may vary from those of the regular academic year. See the important dates page on the registration website for specific dates each summer.

Registering at other UW Campuses (cross-campus enrollment)

Undergraduate students who have completed at least 15 credits and first-year students who have completed at least 25 credits at the Tacoma campus are eligible to register for up to five credits per quarter at one of the other UW campuses during Registration Period II. Eligible students may register cross campus using MyUW. Undergraduate students are limited to a total of 45 credits through cross-campus registration.

More information on cross-campus registration.

Repeating Courses

A student may repeat a course once with both the original grade and the second grade computed in the grade point average. However, credit will be allowed only once. Veterans receiving benefits must receive approval from the veterans coordinator in the Veteran and Military Resource Center before a course is repeated.

Duplicate Courses

To protect the student's investment of educational effort and the value of the degree, UW Tacoma will not award credit for classes that repeat work done elsewhere. It is the responsibility of students who have earned credit at other colleges to determine whether courses they plan to take at UW Tacoma would duplicate any previously earned credit. Duplicate credit will not be awarded for a course that is equivalent to courses previously passed. Students who are in doubt should consult with an advisor before registering.