The minor in Museum Studies familiarizes students with museum theory, philosophy, and practice. It aims to prepare the student for graduate studies in museology, museum management, and entry-level positions in the field. The minor encompasses shared practices that involve registration, curatorial approaches, conservation, fundraising and general management.
The unique location of UW Tacoma within a central campus of museums, and its proximity to major metropolitan areas (less than one hour to Seattle, and two hour proximity to Portland) provides students with numerous internships, and job placement opportunities.
Requirements: 25 credits
The minor in Museum Studies requires 25 credits. All courses in the minor must be completed with a cumulative 2.0 GPA.
Core course: 15 credits
- TNPRFT 231 Introduction to the Nonprofit Sector
- TNPRFT 448 Cultural Administration and Policy
- TNPRFT 449 Museum Studies
Nonprofit Electives: 5 credits
- TNPRFT 432 Organizational Development
- TNPRFT 450 Methods of Museum Interpretation
- TNPRFT 451 Essentials of Grant Writing