School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences

Main page content

Minors and Certificates

Requirements for Completing a Minor

  • Students must officially declare a minor using the Declare a Major or Minor form available from the Office of the Registrar or on the UW Tacoma website and submitting it to their academic advisor.
  • Minors do not have prerequisites and do not require any additional application materials.
  • To successfully complete a minor, students must achieve a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) for all courses involved in the minor. The student’s DARS report (available through MyUW) for the minor keeps track of this GPA.

Declaring a Minor

  • Students must have completed at least 45 credits.
  • Students must already be in a major or have declared a major, before you may declare a minor.
  • For more information about any of these minors or certificates, talk to your advisor. If you are already in a major, you may go to the Office of the Registrar to declare a minor.

SIAS Policy on SIAS Minors

Students wishing to receive a minor offered by the School of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences at UW Tacoma must complete a minimum of 10 credits in the minor on the Tacoma campus. Note: Some minors require more than 10 credits be completed on the Tacoma campus.

The School of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences offers the following minors and certificates of study:

  • American Indian Studies
  • American Popular Culture Studies
  • Asian Studies
  • Economics
  • Education and Community Engagement
  • Environmental Studies
  • Gender and Sexuality Studies
  • Geographic Information Systems (GIS) (Certificate)
  • Human Rights
  • Law and Policy
  • Mathematics
  • Museum Studies
  • Nonprofit Studies (Minor/Certificate)
  • Politics
  • Public History
  • Religious Studies
  • Restoration Ecology (Minor/Certificate)
  • Social Science Research Methods
  • Sociology
  • Spanish Language and Cultures
  • Sustainability
  • Teaching Learning and Justice
  • Technical Communication