Transfer Credit

Main page content

A student working toward a master’s degree may petition the Dean of the Graduate School for permission to transfer to the University of Washington the equivalent of a maximum of six quarter credits of graduate level course work taken at another recognized academic institution. These credits may not have been used to satisfy requirements for another degree. The petition must include a written recommendation from the graduate program coordinator and an official transcript indicating completion of the course work. Transfer credits are not entered on the UW transcript.

University of Washington students who are within six credits of completing their undergraduate degree and who have met the requirements for admission to the Graduate School may register the quarter immediately preceding admission to Graduate School for up to six credits in 500-level courses in addition to the last six credits they require of undergraduate work. The graduate program that has admitted the student must approve registration for the courses. The student, after admission to the Graduate School, must file a petition with the Dean of the Graduate School to transfer the six credits. The student must also provide a letter from the Office of Graduation and Academic Records stating that these credits have not been applied toward the undergraduate degree. Contact the specific program for details.