To be eligible for graduation with the bachelor of sciences degree, each student enrolled in the program must meet the UW Tacoma scholastic standards (2.0 UW GPA), credits required (minimum 180) and the final-year residency requirement and complete the following program requirements:
- Complete all general education requirements not met with transfer courses. See advisor for details.
- Complete a minimum of 45 credits of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences course work. Some majors or concentrations may require more.
- Complete a minimum of 45 credits of upper-division course work, including transfer courses and UW Tacoma courses.
- Complete 5 credits of English composition with a minimum 2.0 grade. This must be completed in a student’s first two quarters at UW Tacoma.
- Complete the requirements for a major or concentration (minors are optional).
- No more than 15 elective credits can be taken for a Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory grade. See advisor for details.
- Complete at least 45 of last 60 credits in residence at the University of Washington Tacoma.
- Meet with an advisor to complete a graduation application no later than the second week of the quarter in which the student plans to graduate.
Overview of Requirements
- Introductory Courses in Biomedical Sciences: 64 credits
- Core Courses in Biomedical Sciences: 39 credits
- Biomedical Sciences Upper-Division Electives: 15 credits
- Required "bookend" Courses: 8 credits
- Capstone (research, internship, etc.): 3-10 credits planned with faculty advisor
- Statistics Course: Select one course
- Ethics Course: Select one course
- Health and Society course: Select one course
Core Courses in Biomedical Sciences: 39 credits
- TBIOL 301 General Microbiology (6) (formerly TBIOMD 301)
- TBIOL 302 Human Physiology (5) (formerly TBIOMD 302)
- TBIOL 303 Cellular Biology (6) (formerly TBIOMD 303)
- TBIOL 304 Molecular Biology (6) (formerly TESC 380)
- TBIOL 305 Genetics and Genomics (6) (formerly TBIOMD 307)
- TCHEM 405 Biochemistry 1 (5) (formerly TESC 405)
- TCHEM 406 Biochemistry 2 (5) (formerly TESC 406)
Required Bookend Courses: 8 credits
- TBIOMED 310 Foundations in Biomedical Sciences: 5 credits, to be completed early in the third year
- TBIOMD 410 Biomedical Sciences Senior Seminar: 3 credits, to be completed in the fourth year
Capstone: 3-10 credits
- See Biomedical Sciences webpage for approved list of capstone courses.
- Choose One course from the Ethics list, see Biomedical Sciences webpage for approved list of Ethics courses.
Health and Society:
- Choose One course from the Health and Society list, see Biomedical Sciences webpage for approved list of Health and Society courses.
Biomedical Sciences Upper-Division Electives: 15 credits
- Complete a minimum of 15 credits of advanced Biomedical Sciences.
- Select a minimum of Two classes from List A, and up to One class from List A or List B.
- See Biomedical Sciences webpage for approved list of Upper-division electives.
- See Biomedical Sciences webpage for additional requirements for students who wish to complete the pre-medical, -veterinary, -dental, and -pharmacy program in conjunction with the Biomedical Sciences degree