An economics minor allows UW Tacoma students to strengthen their facility with economic reasoning and conceptual understanding in a way that complements their studies in their chosen major/concentration. In this way, students can develop their economic reasoning and understanding and apply this knowledge to other areas such as communications, history, business, psychology, social work, sociology and literature.
Note: This minor is not open to students in the Politics, Philosophy and Economics major in SIAS.
All courses in the minor must be completed with cumulative 2.0 GPA. Please see an advisor to discuss details.
Requirements: 25 credits
The Economics minor requires 25 credits to include the following:
Core Courses: 10 credits
- TECON 200 OR TBECON 220 Introduction to Microeconomics (5)
- TECON 201 OR TBECON 221 Introduction to Macroeconomics (5)
Upper-Division Courses: 15 credits
- 15 credits of upper-division courses, (300 - 400 level) from the economics track of Politics, Philosophy and Economics major (PP&E).
- Only 5 credits from TBECON 420, TBECON 421 or TBECON 422 may count towards the minor.
- TBECON 420 Intermediate Microeconomic Theory*
- TBECON 421 Intermediate Macroeconomic Theory*
- TBECON 422 Econometrics*
- TBECON 423 Financial Markets and Institutions*
- TECON 313 Theories of Economic Development and Social Change
- TECON 316 Current Issues in U.S. Public Policy (formerly TECON 416)
- TECON 320 Gender and Development
- TECON 321 Economics of Education (formerly TECON 420)
- TECON 325 Contemporary Issues in International Political Economy (formerly TECON 425)
- TECON 332 Rise of East Asia
- TECON 350 Economic History of Europe
- TECON 360 Poverty in Developing Countries
- TECON 361 Current Issues in the Chinese Economy (formerly TECON 461)
- TECON 362 China's Rise and its Global Economic Implications (formerly TECON 460)
- TECON 370 Economics and Social Mobility
- TECON 394 Comparative Economic Development
- TECON 401 Topics in Economic History
- TECON 410 Economics of Public Policy
- TECON 417 Political Economy of India
- TECON 418 Urban Problems and Policies
- TECON 421 Environmental Policy
- TECON 430 Behavioral Economics
- TECON 440 Global Economic Challenges
- TECON 441 International Economics (formerly TECON 340)
- TECON 450 Labor Economics and Policy
- TECON 470 Economics of Health and Health Policy
- TECON 480 Seminar in Economic Analysis
- TGEOG 349 Geography and International Trade
- TPOLS 330 International Political Economy of Latin America
- TPOLS 460 Political Economy of European Union