2020/2021 Program Goals
To provide an opportunity for early/mid-career MSBA (Masters of Science and Business Analytics) and MBA (Masters of Business Administration) students to partner with a mid-career/senior female professional in the South Sound community to share experience, wisdom and enhance their future careers.
Mentors and mentees are expected to make an academic year commitment to the program. Nearly all activities will occur in the Fall, Winter and Spring quarters. The structured time commitment includes an Orientation Session in the Fall, and a closing Session in the Spring. There will also be Saturday group sessions in each of the Fall, Winter and Spring quarters. The Saturday group sessions will involve more structured discussions of curriculum readings and will last approximately 1.5 hours. Both mentors and mentees are expected to be familiar with the assigned readings.
Mentors and mentees are expected to meet 1:1 at least once per month during the school year in whatever manner and time that is mutually agreeable. At the end of the year, both mentors and mentees will be asked to respond to a survey about their experience to help the program continuously improve.
*Note: all discussions in group or individual sessions are confidential.
Link to MWI Mentorship Program Application:
KEY DATES FOR 2020
- Deadline to apply: August 19, 2020
- Mentor pairings shared: Week of September 14, 2020
- Mentor/mentee orientation: Friday, October 2, 2020, 6-7:30pm PST
Structured Session Topics in 2019/2020
1. Leading through influence
2. Communication differences between men and women
3. Giving and receiving feedback
Potential Session Topics in 2020/2021
· Dealing with Criticism
· Men & Women in the Workplace - issues to anticipate
· What is Leaning In and is it Real?
· How to seek Growth Opportunities and Avoid Pitfalls
· Leading with Vulnerability
· The Importance of Networks in the Workplace
· The Benefits and Pitfalls of Work Teams
· Challenges for Working Moms and Caregivers
· The Power of Language
· How to Advocate for Yourself
· Time Management and Prioritization
· Visioning your Future & Managing Ambition
· Is a career path necessarily linear?
· Diversity in the Workplace
· Learning etiquette in the workplace & social cues