The Center for Urban Waters is a highly collaborative university-led applied science program dedicated to finding globally-applicable solutions to urban water quality problems in the Pacific Northwest. The center provides an intellectual environment where people with a diverse mix of skills can collaborate to develop innovative approaches to environmental restoration and protection and to sustainable urban development.
The UW Tacoma research lab at the Center for Urban Waters is a highly collaborative university-led applied science research unit dedicated to finding globally-applicable solutions to urban water quality problems in the Pacific Northwest.
The Core of Urban Waters:
- creating sustainable, efficient and equitable water quality systems that support vibrant coastal communities while protecting the environment.
- enhancing collective conversations and decision making by providing timely, credible, and actionable scientific information to coastal communities.
- training students to solve practical real-world problems and to design sustainable city infrastructure and systems.
We strive to be:
- Accessible and responsive to our local community while understanding global applications of our work.
- Always seeking opportunities to identify and solve emerging water issues in coastal cities.
- Respected and recognized for the quality and impact of our work.
- Valued for our leadership and distinct contributions to complex environmental investigations
This vision will be supported by:
- Dynamic interdisciplinary research groups led by accomplished senior university scientists.
- Tangible enthusiasm and support from community leaders.
- Strong ties with UW students, faculty, and their academic and research programs.
- A deliberate and thoughtful community engagement enterprise supported by dedicated resources.
- A diverse and stable funding portfolio that includes dedicated resources to seed new research lines and to reinvest in research infrastructure.
- A clear and efficient university administrative support structure.
Learn more about the Center for Urban Waters
The Center for Urban Waters brings together environmental scientists, analysts, engineers and policymakers who are developing creative and sustainable solutions to restore and protect Puget Sound. The founding partners – the City of Tacoma, the University of Washington Tacoma and the Puget Sound Partnership – are committed to providing a collaborative environment where the best-available science forms the basis for policy development and implementation. The Center for Urban Waters is the result of years of work by community leaders who dreamed of a world-class research center on Commencement Bay dedicated to finding solutions for urban bay communities.
Visit urbanwaters.orgto learn more!