The Childcare Assistance Program (CAP) is intended for UW Tacoma students who meet low-income requirements through Financial Aid. Students must have a 2017-2018 FAFSA application completed and on file with the University of Washington Tacoma in order to verify qualifications and before applying. Additional Childcare Assistance Program requirements include:
- Must be a UW Tacoma student who pays the Services and Activities Fee (SAF)
- Must be UW Tacoma matriculated (degree-seeking) student from any undergraduate, post-baccalaureate or graduate program.
- Must be enrolled full-time or part-time. Any changes may affect status.
- Child/children must be in the care of a state-licensed child care provider through the Department of Early Learning (i.e. home, center or after-school program). Private school tuition, kindergarten fees, nannies, meals, registration fees or other special fees are not covered.
- Child/children must be in the student parent's legal and physical custodial care and must reside with the student parent for more than of 50% of the time.
Students who utilize the tuition exemption program do not qualify. (Exceptions may apply based on degree program; contact our office for details.)
The Childcare Assistance Program may consider awarding funds to students who are not using a licensed provider with the following exceptions:
- Extenuating circumstances — including but not limited to: children with developmental, physical or medical conditions that prohibit the enrollment into a licensed provider, or the need to use a specialized provider for the child's specific needs.
- Public school districts — before and/or after school care, including pre-school.
- YMCA/JBLM — facility must still maintain licensing requirements to care for children.
If you meet one or more of the listed exceptions, please email Childcare & Family Support Services at email@example.com with the following information:
- Full name of provider/facility
- Phone or email address of provider
- Description of why you are in need of the exception
Requests will be reviewed within 2-5 business days. Exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis. Documentation for proof (i.e. doctor's note, resume of experience, etc.) may be requested in order to determine eligibility.
For questions about Childcare Assistance Program eligibility, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 253-692-4901
For questions about Financial Aid, please contact: email@example.com or 253-692-4374