Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows international students to engage in training that is an integral part of an established curriculum and directly related to their major area of study. CPT should be driven by students’ curriculum not by their desire for employment.
We hope this page will help students to gain a better understanding of CPT.
Upcoming CPT Info Sessions (click to register)
- October 15, 2019 1:00 - 2:00 pm, TPS 110
- November 12, 2019 12:30 pm -1:30 pm, TPS 110
- January 23, 2020, 3:00 - 4:00 pm, WCG 322 or Zoom
- February 20, 2020, 12:15 - 12:30 pm, CP 103
- February 21, 2020, 12:30 - 1:30 pm, CP 103
- April 8, 2020, 12:00 - 1:00 pm, Zoom
- April 9, 2020, 12:00 - 1:00 pm, Zoom
Below is a comparison chart of CPT and Pre-completion OPT. To learn more about pre-completion OPT, please visit this page.
|Application Reviewed by||International Student Advisor at UW Tacoma||United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)|
|Offer from Employer||Required||Not required|
|Internship Class||Required (must register before the deadline to add a class)||Not required|
|Processing Time||5 business days||90 calendar days or longer|
|Hours per week||Up to 40 hours/week||Limited to 20 hours per week while enrolled in classes and up to 40 hours per week during breaks.|
|Post-completion OPT Implication||Loss of eligibility when full time CPT is used for 365 days. Otherwise, no impact.**||Time spent on pre-completion OPT will be deducted from 12 months of Post-completion OPT.|