Note: PP&E and Law and Policy major students cannot minor in Law and Policy.
The Law and Policy minor examines state-society relations and their effects on public policy and competent government. It will help you understand the law and legal institutions, and the relationship between legal thinking, social institutions, and public policy analysis. The coursework will help equip you for careers in teaching, journalism, business, and law. It will also prepare you for graduate programs in public policy, law, business, international studies, journalism, and related fields.
Students completing a minor in Law and Policy should be able to:
- Engage in and employ sophisticated and logical reasoning;
- Examine and explain the role of law in understanding governing structures and public policies;
- Analyze the relationship between law and policy and other areas of inquiry.
Law and Policy minor requirements (25 credits)
All courses in the minor must be completed with a cumulative 2.0 GPA. Students may request to transfer up to 10 credits to be applied toward the courses fulfilling the minor.
Core courses (10 credits)
Elective courses (15 credits)
- TCOM 380 Political Economy of the Media (formerly TCOM 480)
- TCOM 454 Communications Law
- TCOM 481 Communication Regulation and Policy
- TCRIM 395 American Criminal Courts
- TCRIM 435 Terrorism and the U.S. Criminal Justice System
- TECON 316 Current Issues in US Public Policy (formerly TECON 416)
- TECON 321 Economics of Education (formerly TECON 420)
- TECON 360 Poverty in Developing Countries
- TECON 410 Economics of Public Policy
- TECON 421 Environmental Policy
- TESC 345 Pollution and Public Policy
- THIST 410 Early American Politics, Constitution, and Law
- TLAW 320 American Constitutional Law: Institutional Powers and Constraints (formerly TPOLS 320)
- TLAW 339 Washington Environmental Law (formerly TEST 339)
- TLAW 361 American Constitutional Law: Rights and Liberties (formerly TPOLS 361)
- TLAW 422 International Humanitarian Law (formerly TPOLS 422)
- TLAW 423 International Law (formerly TPOLS 423)
- TLAW 424 The Politics and Law of International Human Rights (formerly TPOLS 368)
- TLAW 438 Environmental Law (formerly TPOLS 438)
- TLAW 452 Minorities and the Law (formerly TPOLS 452)
- TLAW 465 Law and Public Policy in the United States (formerly TPOLS 465)
- TPHIL 414 Philosophy of Law
- TPOLS 305 Campaigns and Elections
- TPOLS 321 American Foreign Policy
- TPOLS 325 Issues in Local Government
- TPOLS 340 Middle East Politics
- TPOLS 353 United States Congress
- TPOLS 382 State Government
- TPOLS 405 Advanced Campaigns and Elections
- TPOLS 425 Comparative Social Policy
- TPOLS 440 American Foreign Policy in the Middle East
- TURB 345 Urban Government and Organization
Declare a minor by completing the Request to Declare/Change a Major or Minor form and submitting it to the Office of the Registrar. You must have earned a minimum of 45 credits and declared a major before declaring a minor. If you have any questions about this process, please see your advisor.
To request changes or updates to this page, please use our Web Edit Request Form.