Non-Discrimination Policy

Main page content

Policies affecting students are included in the University of Washington Policy Directory which includes the university's "Non-Discrimination And Affirmative Action" policy.

Grievance Process for Students

Students are encouraged to resolve a conflicted issue with the staff or faculty member directly. If resolution does not appear possible you may take the following actions:

  1. Contact the UW Tacoma DRS office. We will attempt to resolve the issue with you.
  2. File an appeal of accommodation, contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action.
  3. File a formal complaint, contact the University Complaint Investigation and Resolution Office (UCIRO).
  4. Contact The Office for Civil Rights (OCR), in the U.S. Department of Education.
  5. Contact the Washington State Human Rights Commission (HCR), Olympia Headquarters Office.

In making a complaint, please be specific, state the person or office that you believe has discriminated against you, when the incident occurred and describe the incident. If you are attempting to resolve the problem through a number of offices at the same time, let each office know what other efforts you have made to resolve the complaint. Keep complete records of the persons you have spoken to, dates of meetings, etc.

It will be through mutual cooperation of the student with a disability, the faculty and the office of Disability Support Services that each student will have an opportunity to access an equal and valuable educational experience. Thank you for your participation.

These procedures do not provide rights or obligations not otherwise provided by applicable laws.