Applying for Aid

Main page content

University of Washington students use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for financial aid.  If you are an HB 1079/Real Hope student who is not eligible to complete the FAFSA, you may submit a WASFA instead.

The deadline to be considered for priority financial aid is January 15. We recommend you transmit or mail your application no later than January 1.

Use the menu at left to learn more about the aid process.


To complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you will need:

  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
  • Your federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
  • Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
  • Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
  • An FSA ID to sign electronically.

If you are a dependent student, then you will also need most of the above information for your parent(s).