Global Ambassadors Program
Main page content
The Global Ambassadors Program seeks to create globally minded students from the standpoint of cultural humility and sincere connections between our local and global communities. We believe this is principally developed in the interpersonal connections we make with those around us. Therefore the program develops relationships between domestic and international students through bi-weekly social opportunities and mandatory monthly discussions about social justice issues that are important both locally and globally. The program reflects UW Tacoma's urban-serving mission through dedicated work in developing student’s interest and understanding of social justice issues while providing real ways in which students are encouraged to be involved on our campus and in our community.
Our partnership with the Breakaway Program will give students an opportunity to engage with the nonprofits that are actively attempting to create positive change in our communities. Monthly social activities give students an opportunity to get to know each other as more than just peers, but as friends as well, allowing for a real international network to develop amongst students. The social activities also give students the opportunity to reflect on the social justice issues we will examine in a less structured space where they can see how issues manifest in our everyday lives.
**If you are unfamiliar with any of the vocabulary we use, be sure to check our Definitions Page. We hope this will help you better understand the Global Ambassadors Program.**
- Students seeking new ways to get involved on campus and create meaningful change
- Students interested in social justice issues
- Students interested in having a global learning experience
- Students interested in developing new relationships with their peers
- Both domestic and international students are welcome!
- Build relationships with a group of international and domestic students who share interests in global learning and citizenship.
- Develop skills that employers are looking for, like cross-cultural communication, global perspectives, tolerance, mentorship and leadership.
- Create an inclusive, supportive campus community that celebrates difference and all things international.
- Engage with student organizations, faculty, staff, and community partners to better understand UW Tacoma's urban-serving mission.
By participating in the Global Ambassadors program, students will gain skills focused on cultural humility, leadership, adaptability, tolerance and global citizenry:
- International students can gain insights into university life and have a more immersive experience
All participants have the opportunity to become more connected with the UW Tacoma community
Find new spaces in our community to get involved with and begin creating real life impacts
Global Ambassadors that complete the cohort requirements will receive a personalized letter of recommendation written by the Office of Global Affairs staff explaining all the skills and experiences the student has gained through their participation in the program. This letter can be used when applying for internships, scholarships, employment, graduate school, etc.
All Global Ambassador Program activities are geared towards enriching the student experience on our campus. We work to assure activities are meaningful and enjoyable for all students.
- Global Ambassadors should be committed to spending at least 4-5 hours each month participating in Global Ambassador activities. Examples of these activities are below:
- Required monthly Global Ambassadors cohort meeting (one Friday each month from 1:00 - 3:30 p.m. on campus; lunch and/or snacks provided).
- Attending at least 3 social activities each quarter (these are planned at different times of the day on different days of the week to make sure we capture everyone's availability).
- Participating in weekly UWTea Time
- Attend end of the year retreat
- Complete an end of the year reflection.
- Global Ambassadors are highly encouraged to attend at least one of the BreakAway trips.
- Trips are weeklong community service excursions that happen over winter and spring break. More information can be found on the UW Tacoma BreakAway website.
Complete the Online Application
Plan to attend the mandatory orientation on October 11th
Application Deadline: January 22, 2020
Global Ambassadors Coordinator
Learning names at Orientation
Hilltop Urban Garden presentation during our Food Insecurity cohort meeting
Trip to the Farmer's Market
Members participating in social identity wheel activity
Holiday gift exchange at winter celebration!