The Office of Global Affairs works collaboratively to foster global citizenship by promoting global learning opportunities, building international partnerships, and supporting international students, scholars, and research at the University of Washington Tacoma. We extend our university's urban-serving mission, its commitment to access, and our strengths in community-engaged learning and partnerships into the global sphere.
In collaboration with campus and community partners, the Office of Global Affairs:
- Promotes intellectually rigorous study abroad and other global learning opportunities; provides pre- and post-study abroad programming to help students integrate learning;
- Advises students on study abroad, global learning opportunities, and competitive fellowships;
- Advises students, scholars and the campus community on non-immigrant visa regulations and provides programs to enhance the professional and personal experience of our international students and scholars;
- Supports and highlights international research, scholarship, and creative work carried out by faculty and students;
- Celebrates the cultural and language assets of our diverse students, staff, and faculty and helps build our University’s global community;
- Supports global learning locally through programs such as global classrooms, intercultural and language exchanges, and community partnerships;
- Provides important infrastructure, support, and policy for global learning programs and international partnerships and exchanges; and hosts international delegations.
In our work, we’re committed to the following values:
- Students First. We celebrate the tremendous assets of our student body, including their already existing intercultural competence and language skills, and support the development of their global citizenship.
- Excellence. We strive to provide exceptional services and transformational learning opportunities that empower students and faculty to achieve their goals.
- Access. We extend access to global education for all our students, especially for students who have traditionally been underrepresented in international exchanges and study abroad experiences.
- Equity & Inclusion. We commit to programming that recognizes and explores the assets and histories of our diverse global communities.
- Respect. OGA approaches our partners with respect and prioritizes mutually beneficial collaborations with partners across the University, in our local communities, and abroad.