2019-20 Application Guidelines
The Institute for Global Engagement (IGE) promotes a globally engaged university through funded directed research and experiential learning opportunities. With its dynamic network of campus and community partners, the IGE supports UW Tacoma’s Global Innovation and Design (GID) Lab, a foundational program that uses design thinking principles to develop innovative solutions to real-world challenges at local and global scales. Together, the IGE and the Global Innovation and Design Lab add momentum to UW Tacoma's strategic goal of global learning and advance the University of Washington's imperative to be boundless.
The Innovation and Design Award is a $500 quarterly award for UW Tacoma juniors and seniors to support their participation in community design thinking projects undertaken by the GID Lab. Successful applicants will assist in 1-3 design thinking projects during the quarter for which they receive the Award, enroll in 1-2 credits of Independent Study/Directed Research to receive academic credit for their work, and will share their design thinking experience and the results of their project(s) at the annual Global Engagement Conference. Number of awards per quarter is contingent upon funding. Deadline: Applications will be reviewed as soon as received and decisions made up to a week before the start of each quarter.
Part A. Purpose
To promote inclusive innovation
To enhance undergraduate research and design thinking skills
To produce human-centered solutions for local and global challenges
Part B. Eligibility
University of Washington Tacoma full-time undergraduate students who are of junior or senior standing
Part C. Award Amount
Part D. Award Disbursement
Week 4 of the quarter for which the funds are awarded
Part E. Application
To apply for the Innovation and Design Award, please submit a resume and statement of interest that addresses the following questions:
What is your experience with design thinking? (250 words max.)
Why do you want to work on design thinking projects undertaken by the GID Lab? (250 words max.)
APPLY AT: https://forms.gle/HQNYAdNcR3Avt6VX7
Part F. Award Conditions
During the quarter for which they receive the Global Innovation and Design Award, award recipients will:
- Participate in 1-3 design thinking projects undertaken by the GID Lab, assisting with all aspects of the project
- Enroll in 1-2 credits of TGH 495B OR 1-2 credist of Independent Study and/or Directed Research in their major, which will entail a total of 10-15 hours per week on the project
- Report to the GID Lab Coordinator who will serve as a site supervisor, and to the GID Lab Executive Director (or designee) who will serve as faculty adviser
- Submit weekly logs as well as a final report and/or slide deck on the projects undertaken
- Present their design thinking experience and the results of their project(s) at the Annual Global Engagement Conference
Applications will be reviewed as received and decisions made up to two weeks before the start of each quarter.
Questions? Contact Krissy Kimura, Global Innovation and Design Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.