Personal Property Insurance

Main page content

Students, like all others, are subject to many risks and exposures. Loss of personal property through theft, accident or fire within your residence is a risk you may want to protect yourself from. The UW does not compensate for any loss or damage to a resident’s personal property; therefore, Housing and Residence Life strongly recommends that you consider your options for obtaining personal property coverage through your family’s home or renters policy or through another company of your choice. Some companies offer special packages for students. Three such companies are linked below. The UW does not specifically endorse these companies. These links are provided as examples of the kind of coverage available to our student residents.

Personal Property Policy

The UW is not responsible for theft or damage to residents’ property in the residence halls. To protect your belongings, you are encouraged to:

  • Use an engraver to put your name on all valuables, such as stereos and computers. This will make them less desirable to thieves and easier to trace if stolen.
  • Register your bicycle and electronics (such as your computer, cell phone and MP3 player) with the UW Campus Safety & Security. If an item is stolen, registration can aid in recovery. Please consult the UW Campus Safety & Security for more information.
  • Make a record of the description, serial numbers and identifying characteristics of your valuables. Photos can also serve as useful records.
  • Get renter’s insurance for your possessions or make sure you are covered through your family’s insurance.
  • Report all thefts to the UW Campus Safety & Security immediately at 253-692-4416.
  • Protect yourself against the illegal or fraudulent use of your identity. Visit UW Police Crime Watch for detailed information about how to protect your personal information, mail, credit card numbers, bank records and computer data.