Payroll Forms for New Employee Hires

Main page content

When hiring a Professional, Classified or Temporary hourly staff employee, it must first be approved by HR.  Permanent staff hire process;  Temporary (non-student) hourly hire process. Once approved by HR, the appointment will be entered in Workday and all onboarding forms will be provided in the new employee's Workday inbox to complete and submit. 

When a student employee is hired, please complete the Student Employment Form and submit the form to your department's HCM2 or UWT HRfor processing. If it's a Work Study hire, include the Work Study Job Referral Form. UW Tacoma Financial Aid can help assist your student with determining Work Study eligibility and if eligible, will supply your new student employee with a Work Study Award Verification Form for the hiring department to complete and submit to the UW Tacoma HR/Payroll Specialist. 

When hiring a faculty member, please refer to the Academic Affairs-Tacoma for the appropriate checklists and processes.  Please include the Personal Data Form in the employment packet.

IMPORTANT: Foreign national hires, if receiving pay, must apply for a Social Security card. If they do not have one, please have them go to the nearest Social Security Administration Office to apply for one. A Social Security Receipt Notice is acceptable in new hire packet. However, when the actual Social Security card is received, a copy must be presented the UWT payroll office. 

The new employee will be prompted to complete the Form I-9, W-4, set up direct deposit, and complete the online Affirmative Action Form in Workday through the onboarding process. For more information related to the new employee onboarding process:

Form I-9

When hiring a Foreign National

  • The new employee MUST apply for a Social Security card immediately upon hire. The UW Tacoma International Student Services Office will provide your new employee with the form to apply for a Social Security Card to take to the Social Security Administration Office, showing proof of employment at UW Tacoma.
  • Depending on the new employee's International "status", appropriate work authorization document copies must be given to the department I-9 Coordinator in order to complete section 2 in Workday.

Always include a copy of the picture page of new hire's passportI-94 (Departure Record),  and one of the following:

  • I-20 for F-1 visa holder
  • DS-2019 for J-1 visa holder
  • I-797 Notice of Action or I-94 for H-1B visa holder
  • I-94 for TN visa holder
  • Employment Authorization Card - If the new employee has this, this is the only document needed for the I-9 form.

Instructions for completing the Form I-9 when a Foreign National is hired