Data governance at the University of Washington Tacoma is a shared endeavor between the Office of Institutional Research, the Office of Strategic Planning and Assessment, the Office of Student Affairs, UW Tacoma IT, Finance and Administration, and our tri-campus appointed data trustees, custodians, and subject matter experts.
The University of Washington campus-wide Data Governance Initiative provides the overarching framework for our tri-campus system. The University of Washington Tacoma has established a local Data Governance team to support both University-wide works as well as local needs.
The goals of data governance in Tacoma are:
- Advise on and help enforce University-wide data management policies, standards, guidelines and operating procedures related to University Institutional Data assets.
- Support University-wide strategic plans for data management including sourcing, distribution, maintenance and quality of University Institutional Data assets.
- Advise on University-wide data management practices for decision making including data warehousing, business intelligence, master data management, and metadata management and communicate those practices to Tacoma campus users.
- Recommend and evaluate locally, plans for assessing data management value and risk.
- Communicate and educate our Institutional Data with consistent definitions and classifications according to data management standards and guidelines.
- Coordinate compliance requirements related to laws and regulations that have information management implications and impart a duty upon the University.
Current members of the University of Washington Tacoma Data Governance Team are:
|UW Executive Council||A.C. for Strategy and Assessment||Joe Lawless|
|Data Trustee||Institutional Technology||Patrick Pow|
|Data Custodian - student data||Registrar||Andrea Coker-Anderson|
|Data Custodian - financial aid||Financial Aid Office||Victoria Hill|
|Data Custodian - faculty data||Academic HR||Casey Byrne|
|Data Custodian - employee data||Human Resources||Trish Fiacchi|
|Data Custodian - finance||Office of Finance||Jan Rutledge|
|Data Custodian - academic research||Office of Research||Liza Isozaki|
|Advisory Council||Office of Institutional Research||Alice Few|
|Advisory Council||Enrollment Services and Admissions||Karl Smith|
|Advisory Council||Marketing||Brian Anderson|
|Data Fellows||UW Tacoma Campus||(see Data Fellows information)|