The National Society for Leadership and Success (NSLS) is the largest accredited leadership honor society in the nation! Membership selection is based on either academic standing, or leadership potential. NSLS provides a step-by-step program for members to build leadership skills through participation in campus events and scheduled meetings.
The purpose of NSLS is to help you discover and achieve goals that will ensure you have the best opportunity to achieve success during your college experience, and during post-grad life.
Upon completion of the NSLS program, members will receive a leadership certificate. Members are also able to list their affiliation on all statements of personal accomplishment (resumes, cover letters, letters of recommendation, etc.).
Membership with NSLS provides access to benefits including scholarships and awards, exclusive on-campus and virtual events, employer recruitment through the NSLS online job bank, and special discounts for computers, textbooks, grad school prep courses, insurance, and more!
You were chosen to join NSLS based on academic excellence, or you were nominated for your leadership potential.
Yes! You can apply for NSLS membership by completing a nomination form. The nomination process requires the recommendation of at least one faculty member and can be completed entirely online. If approved, you will receive a nomination code to join.
The NSLS Induction Process
We are so excited that you've joined NSLS! Your Co-Advisors, Liz and Rachael, will send out an email to all members by Friday, October 14th with information about our Orientation sessions and some helpful information to get you started!
Once you have paid the one-time $95 membership fee, you are considered an NSLS member with access to certain benefits. In order to become a fully inducted member of NSLS at UW Tacoma, you must complete the following steps:
- Orientation: The first meetings of the quarter. These meetings serve as an introduction to NSLS and will provide information you need about the program in order to successfully complete the Steps to Induction.
- Leadership Training Day: An interactive video training session with a workbook designed to help you identify and overcome any obstacles that may interfere with obtaining your goals. This event will help you recognize your strengths and weaknesses as you develop SMART goals.
- Three Speaker Broadcast Events: You will be required to watch three broadcasts of some of the world's most successful celebrities, authors, business leaders, and politicians discussing topics related to leadership.
- Three Success Networking Team Meetings: NSLS members will be split into small groups and meet three times before induction to focus on assisting each other in achieving their goals, think of this as a support group!
- Service Hours: NSLS members are required to complete three hours of community service before induction. To learn about service opportunities on the UW Tacoma campus, visit the Center for Service and Leadership's website!
Once you accept your NSLS nomination, you become a member of the UW Tacoma chapter with limited access to benefits. When you complete all of your induction steps, you will be considered a fully inducted member and receive access to all benefits.
The average amount of time it takes to complete the steps to induction is approximately 8-12 hours over the course of a quarter. However, if you need longer, you will have until you graduate to be inducted.
Joining NSLS consists of a one-time fee of $95. This fee includes all membership benefits and partner discounts. Membership does not expire or need annual renewal.
Apply for one of UW Tacoma's NSLS membership fee scholarships! Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and you should expect to hear back by Friday, October 14th with the result of your application.
NSLS distributes over $400,000 in scholarships and awards exclusively to their members. The program supports members for their dynamic leadership, service, chapter/member excellence, and financial need.
For more information, check out current Scholarships and Awards.
Scholarship applications are open twice per year:
January 31 - March 25
September 7 - October 29
The UW Tacoma NSLS Executive Board
President - Lindsay Spuck
Vice President - Kayla Thurston
Secretary - Marleina Mu'a
Treasurer - VACANT
SNT Coordinator - VACANT
Publicity Chair - Meagan Dyer
Society Events Chair - VACANT
Social Events Chair - Jayana Estacio
Membership Outreach Chair - VACANT
Community Service Chair - Sean Lambird
Interested in applying for the Executive Board? Visit the NSLS portal to learn more!