Application deadlines for the student cohort beginning June 2018:
October 15, 2017
January 15, 2018
April 15, 2018
January 15 (rolling admissions are on a space-available basis)
The Master of Science in Business Analytics program uses an online application process. Be sure to review the admissions requirements. To begin your application, create a profile in the online application and follow the instructions. You may save your information and return as often as you’d like until you submit your completed application. A credit, debit card, or electronic check with a U.S. bank account is required for the application fee.
Application Steps and Components
1. Online Applicant Profile
Create your online application profile via the UW Graduate Admissions website. After creating your profile, you will be asked to select program information:
- Select your application type: “Graduate”
- Select your graduate program: “UW Tacoma's Milgard School of Business Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA Program”
- Complete the rest of the new application. Be sure to indicate the quarter and year you wish to enter.
2. Personal Statement
A personal statement is required as a part of your online application. The essay must be within 750 words and should answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in the UW Tacoma Milgard MSBA program and what skills do you hope to gain from it?
- What are your future career goals and plans in the next 5 to 10 years? How will the MSBA Program help you reach your goals?
- Applicants are selected not only for their potential to benefit from the program but also for the experiences and knowledge they can contribute to the class. What will you contribute to the MSBA Program?
Your resume must be uploaded to your online application. It should be a complete summary of your education and professional work history in reverse chronological format. For each position, include:
- Company name and division/group/department
- Position title
- Dates of employment or internship
- Responsibility summary – a 2 to 4 sentence section describing your primary responsibilities for each position
- Accomplishments– 2 to 4 bullets for each position
4. Letters of Recommendation
Two letters of recommendation are required. Recommendations should be professional in nature and could come from your supervisor at work, a colleague, or a professor. Designate your recommenders in your online application. Recommenders will receive an email directing them to the online recommendation form.
Transcripts are required from all college institutions in which a degree was granted. For the application review process, you are required to upload a copy of your unofficial transcripts to your online application. These documents should be generated by the institution (e.g., a scan of an official document or a PDF created from a student portal). Anything appearing self-generated is not considered a valid document. When you are offered admission to MSBA, you will be required to submit an official copy of your transcripts to the UW Graduate School. Please do not mail official transcripts to the MSBA office; additional instructions will be provided to admitted students.
Required content for all transcripts:
- Full name of applicant (former names are acceptable if indicated on application)
- Name of degree-granting institution
- Title(s) of academic degree(s) awarded
- Dates of enrollment, including date of graduation/degree conferral
- Names of individual courses
- Grades, marks, or ratings of individual courses
- International transcripts must include official English translations
- Both marks sheets and degree statements are required, if applicable
6. Official GMAT or GRE Score Report
Please review the GMAT/GRE WAIVERS and submit a brief note with evidence of how you may qualify for a waiver (with your online application). We strongly recommend you to submit a GMAT or GRE score if you do not qualify for a waiver.
In the admissions process, we convert GRE scores to GMAT using the ETS Comparison Tool. We have a GMAT and GRE waiver policy that allows students to be admitted to MSBA without GMAT or GRE Exam scores.
These exams are offered year-round and can be taken multiple times. Scores are valid for five years and you must take the exam at least two weeks before the admissions deadline to allow for the scores to be matched with your application. If you have taken the exam more than once, the admissions committee will use your highest total score to evaluate your application.
Request that your official scores be sent to the University of Washington Tacoma MSBA Program. Include your score breakdown in the Self-Reported Test Score sections in the online application.
- University Name: University of Washington, Tacoma
- School Name: Milgard School of Business
- Program Name: Master of Science in Business Analytics
- GMAT Program Code: ZRZ-NM-21
- GRE Score Report Code: 4854
7. Proof of English Language Proficiency
If your native language is not English, the University of Washington requires you to demonstrate English language proficiency in one of the following ways:
- A bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or from an institution in Australia, the Bahamas, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Singapore, Trinidad and Tobago, or the United Kingdom. While enrolled at the degree-granting school, the student must be in residence on campus.
- Official documentation from the applicant’s undergraduate degree-granting institution (if the institution is in a country other than those listed above) verifying that all instruction is in English. A minimum of three years of enrollment at the undergraduate institution is required and the degree must be equivalent to a US bachelor’s degree. Documentation must be presented to the Graduate School; credential service reports are not acceptable. Acceptable documentation must be one of the following:
- Official or attested letter from the undergraduate college, university Registrar, or Controller of Examinations office.
- Official transcripts, attested mark sheets or degree statements, are also accepted if English is stated as the medium of instruction.
- An official letter stating successful completion of one of the following UW Intensive English Programs (IEP). The letter must be submitted to the Graduate School.
- University of Washington Seattle: Campus Intensive English Programs (CIEP)
- UW Bothell English Program
Complete the TOEFL exam. International students: International TOEFL scores, English test score, 80 minimum (92 recommended) iBT or 6.5 minimum (7.0 recommended) IELTS; English test scores are not required if you receive a bachelor's degree from a U.S. university. Students are required to complete designated UW Academic English Program courses if their score is higher than the minimum but less than recommended. Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency.
NOTE: Most test scores are valid for two years. Applicants with scores below the minimum score requirements are highly encouraged to retake the exam before submitting an application. ALL SCORES must be submitted electronically to the University of Washington. Instructions on submitting these scores can be found at the Graduate School website.
8. Non-refundable Application Fee ($85)
A non-refundable application fee of $85 must be paid by credit card through the online application system. You must submit a separate application and pay a separate application fee for each graduate program you are applying to. We are not able to transfer applications between programs.
9. Video Interview Recording (optional item to submit)
Applicants are encouraged, but not required, to create and submit a short video interview. The video interview allows us to get to know you better, assess your communication skills as well as your ability to think quickly and creatively. The interview consists of pre-recorded questions by the MSBA Program where your responses to these questions are recorded. You will need a computer with internet access, a webcam and a microphone. Once you submit your admissions application, you will be emailed instructions on how to complete the video.
10. Additional International Applicant Information
If you are an admitted international applicant and indicated you would be requesting an I-20 or DS-2019, you will be given separate instructions. International students often have very specific questions regarding language, financial requirements, and employment opportunities. Due to the program starting in autumn quarter, there is a limited amount of time to submit your request and provide the financial documents. Delaying this process may result in not obtaining your visa in time to join the program.
- Transcripts: In addition to the transcripts listed above, international students must submit their official transcripts and degree statements from all institutions attended with certified translations in English to the UW Graduate School.
- English Proficiency Test Information
- Financial Ability Requirement and Estimated Expenses
- All I-20 Forms: If you are currently residing in the U.S., provide photocopies of all 1-20 Certificate of Eligibility forms with the F-1 visa stamp, or DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility forms) with the J-1 visa stamp or any current visa status forms issued to you. Please mail copies of these to the UW Graduate School and the Master of Science in Business Analytics at Milgard School of Business, University of Washington Tacoma.
11. Application Verification
Login to the UW Graduate School Application and verify that your application is complete. Please note that all required materials must be received before your application can be evaluated. You may be contacted by the Milgard MSBA Program Office requesting additional material as needed.
12. Next Steps
What you can expect after you have submitted your application:
- Notification of Admission Decision: For applicants whom complete the application process by the deadline, an admissions decision will be provided on a rolling basis. All communication regarding the status of your application, including admission decisions, will be through electronic mail only.
- Post Admission Follow Up: If you are admitted to the Milgard School of Business MSBA and choose to attend, then log back into your application page and follow the steps online.
Student Laptop Requirements
MSBA Program requires extensive data analysis, visualization and computing, therefore a laptop with suitable capabilities is required by each student. You are making a significant investment in your education by pursuing this master degree and it is wise to support that investment by ensuring that your computer’s capabilities permit you to learn skills and knowledge, and practice and complete all coursework in a timely fashion with high quality results. We will provide a guidance to ensure that your existing computer or a new computer that you may purchase will enable your success in the MSBA Program. Requirements for a laptop computer will be provided later in the process