The Big Data Revolution means big opportunity…
Milgard’s MSBA provides the best value for students. It is not just about business analytics, it is about preparing savvy digital talents for the Fourth Industrial Revolution – jobs of the future with the skills you need.
Milgard’s Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) program will prepare you to thrive as an innovative leader in this data-driven digital era. The MSBA is designed for professionals who want to develop and/or sharpen their critical thinking, problem solving, information management, analytical and decision-making skills. The program is also ideal for college graduates who are interested in pursuing a career in the exciting and fast-growing field of business analytics. Students will become the next generation of savvy business analysts and digital talents: T-shaped analytical thinkers & adaptive innovators.
This work-compatible program provides students with knowledge, tools, and skills to make use of big data. Students are challenged to make effective and efficient business decisions that solve existing problems or create new opportunities, improving the performance of organizations.
This program explores innovation as a creative problem-solving capability that is applied to a wide variety of market opportunities and social/institutional challenges. Students will have the opportunity to apply concepts, principles, and methods associated with business analytics to smart digital solutions (e.g. Apple Siri, IBM Watson, Microsoft Cortana, Google Now, and Amazon Echo). The program presents real opportunities and/or problems in an application domain associated with students' area of interest.
What makes the program unique? The best value?
the low cost (tuition base, state-funded)
Being a state-funded program, it is one of the most affordable graduate degrees in business analytics throughout the nation. Milgard MSBA students often finance their education through a combination of personal funds, educational loans, scholarships and employer tuition benefits.
- Opportunuties to apply for scholarships and financial aids.
applied & adaptive learning
- Probably, this is one of the most applied MSBA programs throughout the nation.
- Students become MSBA consultants to work on real business problems.
- The program adapts cooperative learning methodology by incorporating teacher-led instructions, discussions, hands-on practices with applied examples, increasing utilization of technology in the courses, encouraging contact with students, upholding high expectations, and respecting diverse talents and different ways of learning.
- Students use a number of software tools, methods, tools & techniques in every class.
- Curriculum has been updated continuously to address today's and tomorrow's needs in business analytics.
hands-on learning (applied projects with companies)
- Unique, hands-on projects via Milgard's Center for Business Analytics Digital Transformation Lab. From the first day of the program, students will join a team to tackle real-world analytics projects. Students have the opportunity to apply concepts, principles and methods associated with business analytics to solve complex problems in an application domain associated with their area of interest (e.g. analytics specialization in marketing, HR, ERP/supply chain, logistics, operations, manufacturing, sales, advertising, finance, retail, education, healthcare, sports, e-commerce, IT, telecommunications, hospitality/tourism, public services, utilities and more)
- Students will learn about the most current, relevant and impactful topics, and practice their knowledge with the most premium technology
- Students meet with industry advisors and mentors
"We are a safe and welcoming place for all. The president and provost affirm the University’s commitment “to providing a safe, secure and welcoming environment that protects the privacy and human rights of all members of our community.” Read the complete statement
- The University of Washington is listed at No. 5 on the Reuters Top 100: The World’s Most Innovative Universities, October 23, 2019.
- UW is No. 10 on global ranking; No. 2 among US public institutions, U.S. News & World Report’s Best Global Universities rankings, Oct 22, 2019 (https://www.washington.edu/news/2019/10/22/uw-is-no-10-on-global-ranking-no-2-among-u-s-public-institutions)
- The University of Washington placed 3rd among 250 higher education institutions, according to the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education College Rankings "The Best Value" in 2018. The Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education College Rankings calculated which schools among the top 250 overall provide the best value, by dividing each school's overall score by its average net price -- including tuition, fees, room and board -- for students who received federal or institutional aid.
- The University of Washington placed 4th among U.S. higher education institutions, according to the NTU Rankings in 2018. The UW trails only Harvard, Stanford and Johns Hopkins among U.S. institutions in the NTU Ranking, compiled by National Taiwan University, and also known as the “Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities.”
- University of Washington Medical Center, part of the UW Medicine health system, earned U.S. News & World Report’s No. 1 hospital ranking in Washington state and in the Seattle metropolitan area on August 14, 2018.
- UW ranks No. 5 on Forbes’ Best Value Colleges 2018 The University of Washington ranked No. 5 on the Forbes list of Best Value Colleges 2018, an increase from 23rd place in the 2016 ranking.
- "As the 15th ranked* university in the world, we are attracting more and more bright and motivated international students. A diverse, global student body is essential for robust intellectual stimulation and true career readiness." David L. Eaton, dean and vice provost of the Graduate School UW maintains 15th in the world ranking
- Also, University of Washington is being ranked 25th in the World University Rankings 2018 (overall category), and 18th in the Best universities in the United States 2018.
- "A national ranking that spotlights colleges that "help non-wealthy students attain marketable degrees at affordable prices" has listed UW Tacoma the number one "best bang for the buck in the West." University of Washington - Tacoma is being ranked 1st in the Best Bang for the Buck - West according the 2017 Washington Monthly college ranking.
- "The University of Washington was the top ranked American public university among the top 10 in Reuters’ annual list of the world’s most innovative universities."
- UW among top 10 in US News Best Global Universities ranking; No. 2 among US public institutions according to the U.S. News & World Report’s Best Global Universities rankings
- It is the first and only graduate program in business analytics through the University of Washington
- World-class faculty and experts constitute the program
- The Graduate School accepts applications from U.S. citizens, permanent residents (green card holders), immigrants and international applicants. Undocumented individuals are eligible for admission to any graduate program at the University of Washington. Graduate School admission requirements and application procedures are the same for all applicants regardless of citizenship and visa status.
Milgard Women's Initiative Mentorship Program
"The Milgard Women’s Initiative advocates for all women. In collaboration with people around the world, we engage women as creative and innovative leaders throughout their organizations and communities."
2019/2020 Program Goals To provide an opportunity for MSBA (Masters of Science in Business Analytics) students to partner with a mid-career/senior female professional in the South Sound community to share experience and wisdom and to enhance the future of the mentees and mentors through one-on-one meetings and group networking sessions.
Mentors and mentees are expected to make a one-year commitment to the program. Nearly all activities will occur in the Fall, Winter and Spring quarters. The structured time commitment includes one evening group session in each the Fall and Spring, and two Saturday group sessions, one in the Fall and another in Winter. The first evening session in Fall quarter will be an orientation for mentors and mentees, to the program and curriculum. The evening session in Spring quarter will be a program wrap-up and thank you to all participants. The two Saturday group sessions will involve more structured discussions of curriculum readings and will last approximately 1.5 hours over the lunch hour. Both mentors and mentees are expected to be familiar with the assigned readings. Mentors and mentees will also be expected to meet at least once per month during the academic year in whatever manner and time is mutually agreeable. Throughout the year, mentors and mentees will be asked to complete short surveys about their experiences, to help the program continuously improve. Note: all discussions in group or individual sessions are confidential.
return on investment (ROI)
- Preparing talents for the Fourth Industrial Revolution – future jobs with the skills you need
- MSBA graduates will enter the workforce as emerging leaders who are better prepared to tackle the challenges and opportunities in the ever-changing landscape of the 21st century
- According to research, Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, Washington has been selected Top 4 Best Places for Tech Jobs and STEM Graduates
dedicated career center for Milgard students
Milgard School of Business Success Center: The Milgard School of Business is proud to host our dedicated career management Success Center. The Center is located in Dougan 290. Career management services are offered to all Milgard students and alumni.
adaptive & innovative program design
innovative program design: T-SHAPED ANALYTICAL THINKERS & ADAPTIVE INNOVATORS
Keep your day job! It's not just about business analytics, it's about preparing savvy digital talents for the Fourth Industrial Revolution – jobs of the future with the skills you need. Students will become the next generation of savvy business analysts and digital talents: T-shaped analytical thinkers & adaptive innovators. This interdisciplinary program creates a powerful learning experience and emphasizes integrative learning, critical thinking and creative problem solving.
- Program duration: 12 months = 4 quarters
- HYBRID: Face-to-face Saturday classes + eLearning (40% in-person + 60% asynchronous eLearning)
- Class day/times: Saturdays 9:00 a.m. - 12:20 p.m. and 1:30 - 4:50 p.m. on campus with synchronous office hours via video teleconferencing. No weekday classes!
- 40 credits / cohort-based, lock-step course sequence
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) designation: Education for Global Leadership
- Curriculum has recently been designed and developed as new, It is not a mashup of existing courses from other programs
- Hybrid: face-to-face Saturday classes + eLearning (40% in-person + 60% asynchronous eLearning). On-campus sessions ensure networking opportunities while online classes offer flexibility
- Interact with peers through web conferencing, discussion boards, social media, face-to-face workshops, and coaching sessions
- Agile curriculum updates informed by Milgard's Center for Business Analytics
- Faculty members are active members of and/or playing leadership roles at a number of academic and professional societies. Such as:
- Project Management Institute (PMI)
- Association for Information Systems (AIS)
- The Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- Decision Sciences Institute (DSI)
- International Society of Service Innovation Professionals (ISSIP)
- Teradata University Network (TUN)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Western Economic Association International (WEAI)
- Society for Computational Economics (SCE)
- American Economic Association (AEA)
diverse student body
MSBA ADMISSION PROCESS: Our objective is to select students who demonstrate a strong aptitude for business, leadership capacity, and commitment to completing the program requirements. We strongly believe that a diverse student body helps create such an environment.
opportunity for up to 3 years OPT for international students
International students graduating from this program have the opportunity to work in the USA for up to three years using Optional Practical Training (OPT). OPT is temporary employment that's directly related to an F-1 student’s major. An added advantage for international students is that the MSBA falls under a STEM Designated Degree Program. Under this STEM classification, Milgard MSBA students on an F-1 visas can qualify for a 24-month Optional Practical Training Extension on top of the standard 12-month post-completion OPT. This is a wonderful opportunity for students to gain professional training and work experience on their F-1 visa.
Due to the competitive nature of this program, the limited seats in the program fill up quickly. We therefore recommend applying as early as possible in the application cycle.