CBA & MSBA Driver Team
Haluk Demirkan, PhD & PMP; Director of CBA and MSBA
With 150+ publications and his 20+ years of professional experience, he has been advising more than 40 Fortune 500 companies in maximizing the return on companies’ resources by effectively implementing strategic data, analytics, cognitive and service-oriented technology & management solutions.
He received a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Istanbul Technical University, an M.E. in Industrial and Systems Engineering and a Ph.D. in Information Systems and Operations Management from the University of Florida.
Michael Helser, PhD; Manager, Operations and Programs
Michael is responsible for managing the daily operations and programs of the CBA. He develops business and community relationships and promotes opportunities for collaboration and innovation in the region. Additionally, he works with the director in developing and implementing professional education programs and he has oversight of the Center’s marketing strategy and communications.
Ellen Hermansen, Advisor, Masters of Science in Business Analytics
Ellen has lived and worked internationally in Germany as a Fulbright Teaching Fellow, as well as in South Korea as a public school teacher. She holds a B.A. degree in German Language from Grinnell College, an M.A. in Cross-Cultural and International Education from Bowling Green State University, and she is currently pursuing her MBA in the Milgard School of Business at UW Tacoma.
Merve Kayhan Serter, Technical Program Manager and Milgard Data & Analytics Academy Instructor
She holds an M.S. degree in Management of Technology from New York University, Tandon School of Engineering where she was awarded i2e (invention, innovation, and entrepreneurship) Student Achievement Award. She has prior experience in academia as well as technology companies. Her interests are business analytics, cloud computing, innovation management, and STEM Education for Children.
Cynthia DeHope, MSBA Program Recruiter & Admissions
Cynthia holds a Master of Arts in Education with teaching certification and a Bachelor of Arts in Communication (Public Relations) from Pacific Lutheran University. She also studied abroad at the National University of Ireland, Cork while completing her undergraduate degree.
Information Systems/Business Analytics Faculty
Sergio Davalos, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Fellow for CBA
He has more than 30 years of experience teaching in academia. He was worked in computer science, management information systems, and business information systems programs. While at the University of the Virgin Islands, he was part of a group that developed one of the first online bachelor's program in computer science.
He received a B.A. in Mathematics, an MS in Computer Science, and a Ph.D. in Management Information Systems with a Cognitive Science minor from the University of Arizona.
His research is multidisciplinary involving several fields of study such as marketing, accounting, finance, and transportation. Some of his recent projects are:
- Discovering evidence of nostalgia in social media
- Personality prediction based on vlogs, demographics, and Facebook status
- Bankruptcy prediction based on an evolutionary computing ensemble
- Sentiment analysis metrics: developing and validating
- Dynamic News feed clustering in Facebook
Luna Zhang, Ph.D., Assistant Professor
She has over 10-year experience in data analytics. Dr. Zhang has been invited to present her research at conferences including INFORMS, CIST, WISE, and POMS. Her paper has been published in a premier academic journal.
She received her MS in Economics and Ph.D. in Business and Economics from Lehigh University.
Her research interests include
- Economics of electronic commerce
- Online consumer demand
- Information systems and operations management interface
Some of her current projects are:
- Consumer purchase behavior in online and offline markets
- Global IT and performance
- Search cost and price competition
- Advisor for Analytics Innovation Club
Margo Bergman, Ph.D, MPH,Fellow for CBA, Senior Lecturer, Faculty MSBA
She has over 15 years of experience in decision-making research, data analysis, and teaching. She has worked on projects related to these topics for the Department of Defense, Chambers of Commerce, the University of Washington Medical School, and the Veteran’s Administration.
Dr. Bergman is a frequent peer reviewer and conference speaker, with publications in a variety of fields.
She received an M.A. and Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Houston, and an MPH from the University of Washington – Seattle.
Currently, she is:
- Serving as a board member for;
- Louisa Boren STEM K-8
- Serving as a peer reviewer for multiple journals
Some of her recent projects are:
- Sentiment Analysis for Consumer Confidence
- Price Elasticity and Consumer Search
- Community Engaged Research with WA State Courts
Value Co-creating Partners, Instructors, or Practitioner Expert Advisers
- Charles C. Lanfear, Instructor - Milgard Data & Analytics Academy https://soc.washington.edu/people/charles-lanfear
- Daniel Soper, Instructor - Milgard Data & Analytics Academy https://www.linkedin.com/in/daniel-soper-716924a
- Pelin Muharremoglu, Instructor - Milgard Data & Analytics Academy https://www.linkedin.com/in/pelinmuh
- Merve Kayhan Serter, Instructor - Milgard Data & Analytics Academy https://www.linkedin.com/in/mervekayhan/
CBA Student Consultants
- Michael Turek, Marketing and Community Outreach Leader, MBA, LinkedIn
- Avery Neims, Marketing Specialist, Senior, Linkedin
- Jayanth Sanganabatla, Software Engineer, Master of Cybersecurity and Leadership, LinkedIn
MSBA Student Business Analytics Consultants
Analytics Innovation Club Officers
Former Value Co-Creation Partners
- Noah, Chief Marketing Officer & Content Production Specialist, Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration (Marketing),2019, LinkedIn
- Becki Waskey, Bachelor of Business Administration, Milgard School of Business, 2020, LinkedIn
- Jeff Bennett, CBA Research Consultant & Project Manager, MSBA 2019, LinkedIn
- Jaime L. Core, Manager, Operations and Programs of CBA, LinkedIn
- Nick Butler, Instructional Designer & Technologist, LinkedIn
- Bruce Worobec, Lecturer, LinkedIn