One of Dr. King’s greatest mandates was that individuals must not stand idly by while injustice remains. As part of our annual Unity Breakfast, we want to recognize local citizens and those at UW Tacoma that consistently address diversity, social justice and civil rights. The awards will be given to UW Tacoma students, student organizations and those in the community whose work has significantly contributed to Dr. Martin Luther King’s Dream of diversity and equality for all.
The awards will be presented at the annual MLK Jr. Unity Breakfast.
Dream Award Nomination Categories
This category is for persons or organizations outside of UW Tacoma who have made significant contributions to the UWT community in the areas of diversity, social justice or civil rights. This award encompasses contributions spanning five or more years, therefore, the award presentation may not occur on an annual basis.
Former (non-current) employees are eligible for the Legacy Award if their significant contribution occurred during their UW Tacoma employment but was beyond the responsibilities of their position.
- Former (non-current) employees are eligible for the Legacy Award if their significant contribution occurred during their UW Tacoma employment but was beyond the responsibilities of their position.
- Service or contribution to UW Tacoma demonstrates Dr. King’s legacy of social justice and civil rights.
- Nominee is not currently employed or enrolled at UW Tacoma
- Nominee has provided more than five (5) years of service to the UW Tacoma community
INDIVIDUAL STUDENT AWARD
This category is for UW Tacoma students who have demonstrated consistent commitment to diversity and equality through activism, volunteerism, service learning, research, campus/community involvement and/or leadership.
- Student is currently enrolled and in good academic standing at UW Tacoma
- Student has met the above criteria within the previous and current academic year
REGISTERED STUDENT ORGANIZATION
This category is for student organizations that have demonstrated consistent commitment to diversity and equality through innovative programming, campus and community involvement, activism and leadership development.
- Organization must be currently registered and in good standing at UW Tacoma
- Organization has met the above criteria within the previous and current academic year
Nominations must be received by 5:00 PM on Wednesday, January 8, 2020.