Tuition Rates & Funding Opportunities

Main page content

Tuition Rates 

The Ed.D. tuition rates for the Educational Leadership Program (EdD) - Tier III.

Important notes:

  • State tuition waivers/tuition exemption are not accepted. Please see the School of Education's Tuition Exemption Policy for more information. 
  • The Ed.D. Program does not offer graduate assistantships or specific Program scholarships at this time.

Financial aid

The UW Tacoma Office of Student Financial Aid is here to help you find financial support for your studies. Funding for students eligible for GI Bill® and related veteran's benefits also may be explored through the Financial Aid office.

If you intend to apply for any need-based scholarships, you will need to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. You may apply online or request an application from the Office of Student Financial Aid at 253-692-4374. It is also encouraged to review rules for summer financial aid.

School of Education Merit Scholarship 

Students who are currently enrolled in a School of Education graduate program may apply for a merit based scholarship for the quarters, Autumn, Winter, & Spring.


  1. Scholarships will be made to currently enrolled graduate students who will attend UWT in the quarters the scholarship is awarded (Autumn-Spring).
  2. Scholarships may be awarded only to tuition-paying students (regardless of whether tuition is paid personally, through financial aid, or other means). In-state, out-of-state, and international students who pay tuition are eligible for scholarships. 
  3. Students who meet the following criteria are eligible for this scholarship:
  • Currently enrolled in a graduate degree program at UW Tacoma
  • Have completed at least one quarter as matriculated student (NOTE: New students starting Summer quarter are eligible to apply)
  • Are in good academic standing with a minimum graduate GPA of 3.3
  • Have demonstrated sustained academic excellence or shown academic improvement over time.

Questions? Please email the EdD Academic Advisor, Ashley Walker, at  

Graduate School Fellowships

Fellowships are competitive awards that generally do not require service (i.e., work) as part of the award. They are intended to fund your academic study and research. Fellowships may be offered by your department, the University, the federal government or private agencies.

Every fellowship has different provisions, so take note of what is offered. What is the length of the fellowship? What is the funding level? Does it include insurance or a tuition waiver? Does the funding come to you through the University, or are you paid directly by the sponsor? Are you permitted to accept other sources of funding simultaneously while receiving the award? We encourage you to communicate with your department and, if applicable, the Office of Student Financial Aid, about any award you receive.

More information on grad fellowships can be found by clicking on the following link: UW FELLOWSHIPS

Graduate Funding Information Service (GFIS)

The Graduate Funding Information Service (GFIS), formerly known as the Grants and Funding Information Service, works with current and prospective UW graduate students and UW undergraduates interested in attending graduate school. GFIS helps students identify and use different resources to locate funding opportunities for graduate school-related expenses including tuition, research, and conference and research travel. In conjunction with the University of Washington's Graduate School, GFIS hosts a series of workshops throughout the year, including the summer. Students can also seek answers to their questions during drop-in advising hours, can schedule individual appointments, or can request information by email. In addition, GFIS maintains a subject guide that lists different funding resources by category and a blog that informs students about fellowships, grants, employment opportunities, and upcoming GFIS events. 

GFIS Grant Resources

Grant forward - for UW Students

Anna Salyer, Head of Community Outreach at the UW Tacoma Library, is also available to help explore funding resources. You can contact her by email:, or phone: 253-692-4448.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at