**The EdD Program admits cohorts on a bi-annual basis (2020, 2022, 2024 etc.) for summer quarter only. Please visit our Information Sessions tab for program opportunities.
How to Apply
Online Application: Complete online Graduate School application ($85.00 non-refundable fee).
Resume or curriculum vitae: Resume or curriculum vitae including leadership and supervisory experience.
Goal statement: In two, double-spaced pages, address the following question: What are your professional educational leadership goals, and how are they aligned with the Ed.D. Program's conceptual framework NOTE: Use of citations is not required in the goal statement; however, as needed, cite appropriately using the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA 6th edition), or, the Publication Manual of the Modern Language Association (MLA 7th edition). Title and reference pages are not counted toward the two page requirement.
Transcripts: Submit one transcript from each degree granting institution attended, and transcript(s) providing evidence of program requirements (see Admission Requirements). Unofficial copies are acceptable. NOTE: If admitted to the program, a complete set of official transcripts must be submitted to the Graduate School.
- Graduate Enrollment Management Services has extended deadlines for receipt of official transcripts for degree verification. We will not be placing registration holds for students whose first quarter of enrollment is Spring 2020 or Summer 2020 until July 8, and for students whose first quarter of enrollment is Autumn 2020 until October 28.
- If using the US Postal Service: University of Washington, Graduate Enrollment Management Services, Box 353770, Seattle, WA USA 98195-3770
- If using FEDEX/UPS Service: University of Washington, Graduate Enrollment Management Services, G-1 Communications, 4109 Stevens Way, Seattle, WA USA 98195-3770
P-12 Educators Only: P-12 leaders who seek a Superintendent Certificate must submit a photocopy of Teacher, ESA, Principal or Program Administrator certificate.
Nurse Educators & Other Healthcare Providers Only: Verification of current, unencumbered (RN) or other professional license in Washington state.
Recommendations: Three (3) recommendations are required from persons who are able to provide evidence of your leadership and academic abilities, and your potential for success in a doctoral degree program. Please select only professional or academic references. You will identify the recommenders in your online application, including their full name, email address and telephone number. Be sure to contact them prior to including their contact information in your application, so they know to expect an email from the UW Graduate School requesting a recommendation on your behalf. Your application will not be considered complete until all three recommendations are submitted.
Professional essay: In three, double-spaced pages or less, address the following: Explain a pressing social justice issue(s) facing your profession, and your role in providing relevant and effective educational leadership strategies. Use a minimum of four citations to support your argument(s). NOTE: Cite appropriately using the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA 6th edition), or, the Publication Manual of the Modern Language Association (MLA 7th edition). Title and reference pages are not counted toward the three page limit. Following preliminary file screening, successful candidates will be invited to a day of group interviews.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are not required.
- The Ed.D. Program does not accept Graduate Non-Matriculated (GNM) applications.
For admission or application questions, please contact Ashley Walker, the Ed.D. Graduate Advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org).