Current Quarter Drop

Main page content

The Current Quarter Drop process replaces the Annual Drop process as of Autumn quarter 2020.

Overview and Timeline

Several UW policies affect when and how you can drop classes. Each quarter, you may add and drop classes with no restrictions until the end of the second week of the quarter (the Unrestricted Drop period). After that, you may drop one class between the 3rd to 7th weeks (the Late Course Drop period) using MyUW. To drop more than one class during the Late Course Drop period, you may use the Advisor-Assisted Drop Process. Review the tuition forfeiture policy when considering dropping — you may not get all your tuition back.

Current Quarter Drop Timeline


​Current Quarter Drop Timeline

Unrestricted Drop Period

Late Course Drop Period

Autumn 2020

Wednesday, October 7


Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Wednesday, October 14


Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Winter 2021

Monday, January 11


Sunday, January 17,  2021

Monday, January 17


Sunday, February 21, 2021

Spring 2021

Monday, April 5


Sunday, April 11, 2021

Monday, April 12


Sunday, May 16, 2021

Unrestricted Drop Period

Through the second week of the quarter, you can add and drop freely starting from MyUW. These drops will not show up on your transcript. You will be charged a $20 Change of Registration Fee for all registration changes made on a single day during this period.

Late Course Drop Period

Between weeks 3 and 7, you have two options for dropping classes.

How to Use Your Quarterly Drop

You may drop one course per quarter using your self-serve Quarterly Drop via MyUW. The Quarterly Drop replaced the Annual Drop in Autumn 2020. To use your self-serve Quarterly Drop, follow the same instructions as for the Unrestricted Drop Period.

How to Use the Advisor-Assisted Drop Request Process

If you have already used your self-serve Quarterly Drop, or if you know you want to drop more than one course, you will use the Advisor-Assisted Drop process.

NOTE: You must submit the Advisor-Assisted Drop Request to begin the process before the end of week 7.
Autumn Quarter: Tuesday, November 17, 2020
Winter Quarter: Friday, February 19, 2021
Spring Quarter: Friday, May 14, 2021

With the Advisor-Assisted Drop Request Process, you will submit a form that sends an email to your advisor(s), as well as a copy for you. You will connect with your advisor(s) to discuss what you want to do, and the advisor(s) will then communicate with the registration team on your campus to drop the classes. Submitting the form does not automatically drop your courses. You must connect and communicate with your advisor(s).

Before You Start the Advisor-Assisted Drop Request Process

  • Review the tuition forfeiture policy when considering dropping — you may not get all your tuition back.
  • Decide which classes you want to drop, and get their SLNs (5-digit code) from the Registration page.
  • See below to review the conditions and provisions that you must agree to as part of this process.
  • For international students on an F-1 or J-1 visa, your Advisor-Assisted Drop Request will be sent to your campus’ international student advising office. You will work with them to ensure that your drop request complies with any relevant federal laws.

Start a Late Course Drop Process

Use either of these processes if you need to drop classes after Week 2 of the quarter.

To drop more than one class, or if you have already used your Quarterly Drop, use this form to submit an Advisor-Assisted Drop Request.


Current Quarter Drop Conditions and Provisions

If you intend to drop courses, you must read, understand, and acknowledge the following provisions of the Current Quarter Drop policy. These provisions will be included in the Advisor-Assisted Drop Request form.

  • Agency: Students take full responsibility for any ramifications from choosing to drop classes.
  • Funding Status: Dropping more than one (1) class can have a negative impact on funding status depending on the student’s personal circumstances.
  • Timeline: The Current Quarter Drop (self-serve Quarterly Drop via MyUW and Advisor-Assisted Drop Request) may be used during Weeks 3-7 of the current quarter.
  • CQD Step 1: The student may use the self-serve Quarterly Drop for (1) one class for the current quarter via MyUW prior to submitting a request for additional drops.
  • Deadline: The student must submit the request form by the established deadline in order to be considered and processed by the campus registration team by the last date of instruction of the given quarter.
  • Advising Discussion: When contacted, students are responsible for discussing with their academic, program, degree advisor(s) and/or advising team to proceed with the drop process.
  • Advising: The advisor reviewing the drop request does not decide on the ability to drop the class(es). Rather, they advise the student on academic history and make sure the student has evaluated the risks and consequences associated with dropping classes during the current quarter.
  • Approval to Drop: When advising steps are completed and the advisor(s) forward the request to the registration team, the student is authorizing the respective campus registration team to drop the identified classes.
  • Drops are Final: Classes dropped from a student’s schedule may not be reversed.
  • Change of Registration Fee: The $20 fee will be assessed for any Drop (and Add) changes in a given day.
  • Tuition Refunds: The timing of when classes are dropped will determine whether different tuition refund policies will be applicable. The student is responsible for reviewing all of Student Fiscal Services’ deadlines and policies, and following the separate procedures related to the tuition refund processes.
  • Transcript Notation: Dropped classes will carry an annotation of RD for Registrar Drop on the academic transcript. The credits and GPA points associated with the RD dropped class(es) will not appear on the academic transcript, but the class abbreviation, class number, and the annotation RD will appear. The RD annotation cannot be removed.

The student is responsible for any consequences from class(es) being dropped including any impact on financial aid status/eligibility, international visa status/eligibility, intercollegiate status/eligibility, degree progress, paying any remaining tuition forfeiture balances, employment status, and any other status impacted by enrollment levels.