The University of Washington Tacoma offers a variety of scholarships for students. Some are based on merit; others require applicants to demonstrate evidence of financial need, many are a combination of both need and merit. Students who wish to demonstrate financial need must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by January 15.
Most scholarships are offered to begin in the autumn quarter and have deadlines about six months before the autumn quarter. Start your search early, at least 12 months prior to needing the funds. You do not need to wait until you are admitted to apply for most scholarships.
Scholarships Open to all students
Scholarships for Freshmen only
- Incoming Freshman Merit Scholarship: All legal residents of Washington state with an application for autumn quarter admission received by January 15 are automatically considered for this scholarship; no additional materials are necessary. This scholarship is based on a combination of need and merit, other factors may also be considered. Scholarship amounts vary based on funding allocations received year-to-year.
- Great Futures Scholarship In partnership with Boys & Girls Clubs of South Puget Sound.
- ACCESS in STEM Scholarship
Scholarships for Transfer Students only
Transfer Priority Scholarship: All legal residents of Washington state with an application for autumn quarter admission received by March 15 are automatically considered for this scholarship; no additional materials are necessary. This scholarship is based on a combination of need and merit, other factors may also be considered. Scholarship amounts vary based on funding allocations received year-to-year.
Scholarships for Students with Developmental Disabilities
Simon Endowment Scholarship: The Simon Family endowed scholarships have the following preferences in place to guide students and staff in determining individual eligibility:
- Students must present documentation to demonstrate a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder or a developmental disability
- Students must be living in the South Puget Sound region
- Both undergraduate and graduate students may apply
For more information on the Simon Family, Endowment Scholarship eligibility requirements visit their page: Simon Endowment Scholarship
2020-2021 Simon Family Endowment Scholarship Application is now closed
Deadline: September 4, 2020
The eligibility requirements for these scholarships, including residency, may vary. Please contact the respective unit for additional information. If your academic department is not listed, please check with that department directly for scholarship information.
- School of Education
- Global Honors
- School of Engineering and Technology
- School of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences
- Milgard School of Business
- School of Nursing and Healthcare Leadership
- School of Social Work and Criminal Justice
- Study Abroad
- School of Urban Studies
Other Useful Sources for Non-UW Scholarships
- Washington State Opportunity Scholarship
- Leadership 1000 Scholarship
- Washington College Success Foundation
- Gates Millennium Scholars
- Mary Gates Endowment for Students
More Links for Finding Financial Assistance and Advice
- Search for Scholarships (fastweb.com)
- Scholarship Junkies
- Washington Student Achievement Council – Ready Set Grad
- Tax Credits and Breaks for Parents and College Students
- College Cost Calculators
- Prepaid Tuition for Washington State parents (GET Program)
- Tuition Exemptions and Reductions for Dependents of Deceased or Disabled MIA/POW Veterans or Public Safety Officers
- College Resource Network
- College Planning Network