The MLK Day Unity Breakfast was created in 2006-2007 with support from the Student Activities Board and the Chancellor’s Office. With funding from these offices, the Black Student Union worked with UW Tacoma officers to plan and implement the first MLK Day campus event. The first event was successful and in subsequent years, the event has grown to become an iconic community event. Each year the campus has strengthened the collaborative process for commemorating Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
This event is planned annually by committee.
2019 Planning Committee
- Anna Chatman’03, Student & Enrollment Services, UW Tacoma
- Amari Hill, , Black Student Union, UW Tacoma
- Mentha Hynes-Wilson, Ex-Officio
- Linda Ishem Ph.D., Faculty, Black Student Union Advisor, UW Tacoma
- Chana Lawson’07, UW Tacoma Alumni
- Jamie Victoria McGee’07, UW Tacoma Alumni
- James McShay Ph.D., Faculty, Center for Equity and Inclusion, UW Tacoma
- Ed Mirecki, Student & Enrollment Services, UW Tacoma
- LaKeisha Morris, Black Student Union, UW Tacoma
- Byron Ragland, Black Student Union, UW Tacoma