The annual Global Engagement Conference is hosted by the Institute for Global Engagement and is competitively open to all students from UW Tacoma and area academic institutions, engaged in globally focused learning. The conference also features capstone projects of UW Tacoma's Global Honors students, representing a diverse range of majors.
The 2019 Global Engagement Conference will be held on Wednesday, May 29, and Thursday, May 30, on the UW Tacoma Campus in William Philip Hall. We are delighted to host Dr. Dawn Whitehead, AAC&U Vice President for Global Citizenship, as the 2019 Global Engagement Conference keynote speaker. Dr. Whitehead will open the conference on May 29th with a keynote address titled, "Global Connections: Sparking Solutions to Today’s and Tomorrow’s Challenges" and will participate in a keynote panel on May 30th titled, "From Global Engagement to the Global Workforce," featuring several key employers of our global port region.
Conference themes include:
- Global Innovation & Design: Design thinking for community solutions; Community-engaged innovations for global challenges; Grassroots/participatory communication and development
- Environment: Food/water access and scarcity; Sustainability degradation/pollution; Smart cities and the environment
- Globalism: Nativist responses; Diasporic identities; Refugees and migration
- Health & Human Rights: Body, community, environment; Social determinants of health; Population health; Migration and refugee flows; Indigenous rights and recognition
- Media & Security: Transnational media networks, Global consumerism and hybrid identities; Social media and fake news; Soft power; Cyber-surveillance and/or policing; Community and political security; Proliferation and disarmament
For the full conference schedule, click here.
We hope you will join us!
2018 Global Engagement Conference
2017 Global Honors Colloquium
2016 Global Honors Colloquium
2015 Global Honors Colloquium
2014 Global Honors Colloquium
2013 Global Honors Colloquium