Which type of student are you?

Main page content


You should apply as a freshman if any of the following statements describe you:

  • You are in high school and plan to enter UW Tacoma right after graduating.
  • You are in the Running Start program and plan to enter UW Tacoma right after graduating, regardless of how many college credits you have earned or will earn.
  • You have never attended college since leaving high school, regardless of your age or whether you ever graduated.

Learn about freshman admission

Transfer student

You should apply as a transfer student if all of the following statements describe you:

  • You wish to enroll at the UW Tacoma to earn your first bachelor's degree.
  • You are no longer in high school (regardless of how old you are or whether you graduated).
  • You have completed any course work at a regionally-accredited college or university since leaving high school.

Learn about transfer admission

International student

You should apply as an international student if:

  • You are not a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the United States.

Learn about international student admission

Returning student

If you attended UW Tacoma in the past but have not been enrolled for more than one quarter (not including summer), you are required to submit a Returning Student Application and pay a $60 application fee.

If you were previously enrolled at UW Seattle or UW Bothell and now wish to enroll at UW Tacoma, you should apply using the Transfer application.

Learn about returning student admission

Non-matriculated student (non-degree seeking)

You should apply as a non-matriculated student if any of the following describe you:

  • You wish to take courses for credit but are not looking to earn a degree.
  • You are not a current UW student but wish to complete the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or Nonprofit Management certificate programs.

Learn about nonmatriculated admission

Post-baccalaureate student

If you have earned a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution and want to earn a second bachelor's degree, you are a post-baccalaureate student.

Learn about post-baccalaureate admission