BSN 2019-20 Application Priority Date Extended
Applications accepted after April 15 on a space available basis
Applications reviewed based on date completed
Applying for admission to the BSN program is a two-step process. An online application and official transcripts must be submitted to the University; other required supplemental materials go directly to the Nursing program.
Applications are reviewed after all application materials and transcripts have been received. Those meeting the deadlines listed below are assured of a review. Applications completed after that date will be considered as space allows. If the number of applications exceeds the available space, admissions will be competitive. Admission decisions could take up to 8 weeks.
Summer Quarter: April 15th
Autumn Quarter: April 15th
Winter Quarter (2020): October 15th
IMPORTANT: An applicant must have already earned an associate degree in nursing, be in the final year of an RN program (and eligible to sit for the NCLEX), or have been awarded a diploma in nursing by a hospital-based nursing school. Not an RN?
Determine the quarter you are applying for: full-time students can apply for summer quarter or autumn quarter; part-time students choose to start in either autumn quarter or winter quarter*. Those considering a residency that starts in late summer or early autumn should apply for winter quarter*. Please note that the university transfer application for winter quarter* does not open until September. Changing the application quarter may necessitate a new application and fee, so select carefully!
Depending on whether you are a new transfer student (new student), a returning student, or an international student, the application form and process may vary as indicated below.
If you have any questions about the application process for the RN-BSN program or encounter any technical difficulties, please contact Jessica Immerman by email or at 253.692.4477.
*This is effective Winter Quarter 2020. The application to apply for Winter Quarter 2020 will open on September 1st, 2019.
New BSN students transfer to UW Tacoma from RN programs:
Apply online for the RN-BSN Program, completing the steps listed below in order. Please note you will NOT hear any admission decisions until step #4 is complete.
1. Write your essay. This essay can be used for the university's personal statement as well as the BSN essay. Once written, save your essay to use in steps 2 and 4.
BSN APPLICANT ESSAY INSTRUCTIONS:
Write about your personal and professional experiences. Your essay should be no more than two pages, typed and double spaced with a 12-point font. The essay should be an example of your ability to communicate effectively in writing. Please address ALL of the following areas as they pertain to you:
- Leadership, achievements and accomplishments
- Perseverance in the face of adversity
- Experience in diverse communities or disadvantaged populations
- Special skills and experience (bilingual, international travel, research)
- Reasons for pursuing a BSN, expectations and outcomes desired for your educational experience and future educational or professional goals.
2. Apply to UW-Tacoma as a Transfer Student. Please note that the winter cohort starts in 2020, the university application will be available in spring 2019.
3. Set up your UW NetID. Establishing a UW NetID will allow you to work on parts of your application and return to your most recently saved application. Click HERE for the instructions to set up your UW NetID. Please allow a couple of days in between the completion of your transfer application and trying to establish your UW NetID.
4. Complete the BSN Program Application and Supplemental Kit Online.
A current background check is a condition of admission: all admitted BSN students must complete a CastleBranch, Inc. online criminal background check and pay the associated fee. Instructions are included with offers of admission. Continuing students will be asked to renew their background checks biennially until they graduate. Additional documentation (including a repeated criminal background check) may be required prior to enrolling in T NURS 414/Health, Communities and Populations. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from fieldwork.
UW Tacoma BSN students who have been away for two or more quarters should contact Jessica Immerman prior to applying.
International students are required to have a Washington state RN license:
- Read the international students undergraduate admission page.
- Submit the International Transfer Student Application through ApplyWeb.
- Submit official transcripts, translations, and course-by course evaluation (if required) as described in the "International transfer application checklist".
- Complete the BSN Program Application and Suplemental Materials Kit.
- A current background check is a condition of admission: all admitted BSN students must complete a CastleBranch Inc. online criminal background check and pay the associated fee. Instructions are included with offers of admission. Continuing students will be asked to renew their background checks biennially until they graduate. Additional documentation (including a repeated criminal background check) may be required prior to enrolling in T NURS 414/Health, Communities, and Populations. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from fieldwork.