Frequently asked questions: MN

Main page content

FAQs for potential applicants

Why do you only accept Registered Nurses?
Our program does not teach students how to be Registered Nurses (RNs).  That education comes from a community or technical college RN program or four-year BSN.

When does a statistics course need to be completed?  Is it offered at UW Tacoma?
Students need to have completed Statistics before beginning the MN program (see approved course list).  UW Tacoma offers statistics but it is fine to take it at a community college instead.

Is any basic statistics course acceptable?
No.  Students must take a course that has been approved by the UW School of Nursing.  See the approved list.  If a stats class isn't on the approved list, you may send a full course description and details to UW Tacoma Nursing.  We’ll review it to see if our standards are met. 

How do I increase my chances of being admitted to the MN program?
Read the application instructions very carefully.  Give thought to whom you might ask for each recommendation.  Be sure that your statement of goals addresses each of the points listed in the instructions.  Send in all required materials before the application deadline.

Will an advisor meet prospective students?
Of course!  Our Graduate Advisor is always looking forward to meet with prospective students. Schedule an appointment to meet with us.

When are classes held?
Currently, MN classes meet on Tuesdays and/or Thursdays in the afternoon and evening hours. Although class times may vary somewhat each quarter, schedules are announced no less than 10 weeks in advance.

Do I have to be a full-time student?
No. In fact, graduate students are strongly encouraged to attend part-time because of the rigorous curriculum.

Why does it take so long for an admission decision?
Several steps must be completed before an admission offer is made.  Transcripts are evaluated, required materials are cataloged and reviewed, and prerequisites are assessed.  At that point, the MN Committee considers admission decisions.  Depending on faculty availability and workload, this could take days or weeks.

How much does it cost to earn a MN?
Graduate Nursing students take a minimum of 47 credits (50 if they select a thesis option). Tuition will change, but the current rates are posted here (excludes books, room & board, transportation, and personal expenses): Quarterly Tuition Rates.

When is tuition due?
Tuition is always due the third Friday of each quarter.

Is there financial aid to help with tuition?
Yes. The School of Nursing and Healthcare Leadership announces annual scholarships each spring, usually in April. These are limited to new and continuing Nursing students. The University offers campus-wide scholarships and financial aid resources.

I want to use tuition exemption as a state employee.  How does that work? 
State Employee/Tuition Exemption applies only to courses that have space available and are taught in a traditional manner.  Although many Nursing courses are taught in a traditional manner, they fill early, which results in no space available at the time of tuition exemption registration.  Additionally, some courses are not eligible for tuition exempt registration. For additional information, see the Office of the Registrar's webpage. Here is the SNHCL tuition exemption policy.

I went to college outside of the U.S.  Do you need my transcripts?
Yes.  Foreign transcripts must be reviewed by an approved credential evaluation service, and that report is submitted to the UW Tacoma Admissions office for an evaluation of transfer credits.  The Admissions office will need official transcripts from each  school, along with a translation if the transcript is not in English, and a course-by-course evaluation from the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved educational credentialing service such as WES or FIS.

My nursing education was outside the U.S.  Can that substitute for the NCLEX?
No.  The state of Washington has a process for licensing RNs who have passed the NCLEX in other countries.  Please see the Washington State Department of Health's website, and click the link to "Examination Application" for those trained outside the U.S.  Again, you would need to be licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of Washington to be admissible to the UW Tacoma MN program.