AMPLIFYING THE VOICE AND LIVED EXPEREINCE OF YOUTH
Action Mapping Project (AMP)
Partners: City of Tacoma, Tacoma Public Schools, Metro Parks Tacoma, Safe Streets Tacoma, Safe Routes to Schools Tacoma, Communities in Schools Tacoma, Tacoma Pierce County Health Department, United Way Pierce County, Bamford Family Foundation, Greater Tacoma Community Foundation, Microsoft
- Sketch Map Digitizing
AMP team digitized approximately 3,000 maps that were drawn by youth in the Foss, Mt. Tahoma, and Lincoln high school catchment areas. The inclusion of these data improves the representativeness of 2018 and 2019 datasets to 20% of total middle-school and high-school aged youth in South and East Tacoma.
- Microsoft Collaboration
Collaborated with Microsoft to develop an application to automate digitizing hand-drawn sketch maps that we collect from youth in our mapping workshops. AMP received a Microsoft engineering intern for the spring and summer terms to work on this project. Testing and revising of the application is ongoing.
Safe Routes to Schools (SRTS)
Partners: City of Tacoma - Safe Routes to Schools, Tacoma Public Schools, Metro Parks Tacoma
- Mobile Walking Audit App Development - Contracted with Safe Routes to Schools Tacoma to develop a mobile data collection application for conducting walking audits of Tacoma neighborhoods. App was developed, tested, and deployed for use by AMP team. After pandemic, AMP will work with SRTS to train residents and school kids to conduct walking audits in their own neighborhoods.
- Walking Audit Survey Development and Data collection in South Tacoma - AMP SRTS team developed a walkability survey and conducted a walking audit of ALL streets and alleys in five elementary school catchment areas in South Tacoma. Data were collected on both sides of every street midpoint and at four corners of every intersection.
- Walkability Data Analysis and Dashboard Development - Data collected by AMP SRTS analyzed alongside AMP youth data. Walkability dashboard developed for use by City of Tacoma.
South End Neighborhood Planning
Partners: City of Tacoma City Council Members Beale and Ushka, South End Neighborhood Council, Safe Streets Tacoma
- Participatory Neighborhood Asset Mapping - AMP team contracted to work alongside community organizers to conduct asset mapping workshops and distribute sketch map surveys among residents. Survey development and sketch map planning being conducted by AMP.
- Data Analysis, Visualization, and Plan Development - Asset and sketch map data to be analyzed and visualized to inform a neighborhood master planning process for South Tacoma.
United Way of Pierce County
ALICE (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed) Data Analysis and Mapping
- AMP contracted to collect, analyze, and visualize ALICE data for the Pierce County region. Maps and graphics that were produced are used by UWPC to guide work being done in the region to improve livability and quality of life for ALICE families as well as families living below the poverty line.
- Impact Dashboard Development
Tableau dashboards developed for UWPC. Dashboards visualize data provided by UWPC alongside spatial data collected by AMP team to make explicit the impact that UWPC funded initiatives are having in regional communities. Additional dashboards developed for UWPC to visualize internal donor and fundraising data.
Tacoma Creates - City of Tacoma
Environmental Scan of Tacoma Cultural Landscape
- AMP contracted to conduct an environmental scan of all public arts, science, cultural, and heritage-oriented activities in Tacoma between 2017-2019. Data were collected using mixed methods that included archival research, face-to-face and phone interviews, and survey data collection. Spatial data created by the project include approximately 30,000 records of activities during the two-year period. Alongside the creation of the activities dataset, the AMP team also assembled a complete dataset of all publicly accessible venue and event spaces in the Tacoma area. Data are being analyzed alongside AMP youth data for the purpose ensuring that public TC funding is distributed equitably in the city.
- Dashboard Development
Tableau dashboards developed for Tacoma Creates (TC). Internal Organizational Dashboard visualizes data collected by TC about Tacoma-based art/science/cultural/heritage oriented organizations that receive funding from the TC initiative. Covid-19 based ‘Tacoma Cultural and Creative Economic Recovery Dashboard’ developed in Tableau using data extracted from Washington Statewide economic recovery survey.
- COVID-19 Impact Focus Groups
Focus groups hosted by AMP to gauge impact of COVID-19 on Tacoma’s cultural landscape. Data from focus groups being analyzed for inclusion in a report detailing impact of COVID-19 on organizations in Tacoma.
- Content and Data Analysis, Visualization and Reporting
AMP team to conduct content and data analysis of internal reports provided to TC by organizations funded by the TC initiative. 2020 is the first of what is expected to be an annual series of reports.