Changing or Appealing Final Grades

Main page content

Grade Error

Except in case of error, no instructor may change a final grade(1) that he or she has turned in to the Registrar. Grades used to meet graduation requirements cannot be changed after the degree has been granted.

Written Appeal of Grade Error

If you believe that the instructor made an error in the assignment of a grade, or believe a grade recording error or omission has occured, the following procedures are required to resolve the matter:

  • You must first discuss the matter with the instructor before the end of the following academic quarter.
  • If you are not satisfied with the instructor’s response, you may submit a written appeal that must include documentation(2) to the director or the dean of the program(3) that offered the course, with a copy of the appeal to the instructor. This must be done no later than 10 class days after your discussion with the instructor.  The director or dean will consult with the instructor to ensure that the evaluation of your performance was fair and reasonable or whether the instructor's conduct in assigning the grade was arbitrary or capricious. Should the dean or director believe the instructor's conduct to be arbitrary or capricious(4) and the instructor declines to revise the grade, the director, with the approval of the voting members of his or her faculty, shall appoint an appropriate member, or members, of the faculty of that program to evaluate your performance and assign a grade. The vice chancellor for academic affairs and the provost will be informed of this action.

Once you submit a written appeal, this appeal, any supporting documentation, and all subsequent actions on this appeal may be maintained and/or recorded in written form for deposit in a department, school or college file.

(1) Final grade means the grade received in the course and reported to the Office of the Registrar.
(2) Documentation means all materials relevant to the grade determination and to the grade appeal process. Examples include grade reports, graded work, syllabus, student/faculty correspondence, etc.
(3) Director or Dean means the administrator responsible for the respective school or program offering the course which is under appeal.
(4) Arbitrary or Capricious means in a manner deemed to be inappropriately subjective or otherwise inconsistent.