Former Quarter Drop Petition

Main page content


During the 3rd - 7th week of the quarter students may now submit a request to drop any or all remaining courses. An advisor will discuss the requests with the students and forward the request to the registrar to drop the courses. This process will eliminate the need to submit a Former Quarter Drop for the current quarter.

Click Here for
Current Quarter Drop

Former Quarter Drop (FQD), previously known as the Hardship Withdrawal Process, may be processed by the Office of the Registrar if a student is unable to complete or withdraw from their course(s) because of extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control. Petitions are reviewed and decided upon by a committee of representatives from the academic advising community, Office of Financial Aid, Disability Resource Center, Veteran & Military Resource Center & Office of the Registrar. All dates and deadlines referenced are based on the UW Academic Calendar and more specifically Course Drop Policy/Periods.

Tuition Refund 

A Former Quarter Drop is not a petition for a tuition refund and only addresses the student’s enrollment and grades as they appear on the transcript. By default, all tuition forfeiture policies will apply to a Former Quarter Drop.  


  • The student is incapable of completing their course(s) because of an extenuating circumstance beyond their control. 
  • An extenuating circumstance prevented the student from dropping their course(s) by the published course drop deadline for the quarter. 
  • The FQD Petition is submitted within one year of the quarter being petitioned. If a student wishes to submit an FQD Petition beyond the one-year deadline, materials must be presented showing inability to file within the guidelines. 
  • Former Quarter Drop Petitions will not be processed once a degree has been conferred. 
  • The FQD petition is for circumstances outside of the classroom and should not be used to address grading or academic related issues. See Grading Procedures for additional information. 

Former Quarter Drop Request Process

Prior to Submitting the Petition

  • If a student is requesting a complete withdrawal from all courses during the current quarter, it is recommended the student withdraw themselves by completing the Official Withdrawal Form. See Academic Calendar for timeline.
  • Separate FQD Petitions with supporting materials must be submitted for each quarter being petitioned. 
  • FQDs will not be granted for coursework that has already been applied to a completed degree. 
  • Submission of an FQD Petition alone does not guarantee approval. 
  • Students submitting an FQD Petition within two weeks of the end of the quarter should first consider requesting an “I” (Incomplete) grade from instructors. 
  • Student categories to be considered: 
    • International Students: Students with F-1 Visa status should meet with an International Student Services (ISS) advisor to be apprised of any Visa status changes due to FQD approval. 
    • Financial Aid recipients: Students receiving Financial Aid funds, should consider consulting with a financial aid counselor
    • Military/Veteran benefit recipients: Students utilizing veteran benefits, should consider consulting with a veteran benefit counselor

By submitting the Former Quarter Drop Petition, a student is acknowledging they have consulted with appropriate offices and are aware of the impacts of the FQD. 

Submitting the Petition

Click here for the
Former Quarter Drop Petition Form

  1. A UW NetID will be required to access the petition.

  2. The personal statement should:

  • Be concise and clearly outline the details of the extenuating circumstances which affected your ability to complete the coursework for the quarter being petitioned.
  • Explain why the circumstances prevented you from dropping by the established deadlines.
  • Explain the success in other courses, if they are not included in the petition.
  1. Supportive materials are not required, but are encouraged to strengthen a petition. See suggested materials below. 

Reason for Requesting FQD

Suggested Supporting Materials

Issues Related to Personal Health or Illness

  • Completed Healthcare Provider Form 
  • Statement from physician on letterhead including dates of service
  • Copy of police report 
  • Copy of insurance statements
  • Detailed explanation of family member’s medical circumstances, including the name and relationship of the family member to you 
  • Copy of police report 
  • Copy of insurance statements 



  • Statement from former employer on company letterhead for yourself, or
  • immediate family or family member indicating date of termination



Statement from employer on company letterhead indicating that a work conflict such as out-of-town travel or overtime work negatively affected your academic success



Statement from landlord or bank/mortgage company indicating change to housing situation



Copy of divorce papers
  • Copy of insurance statements
  • Personal statement including the date(s) the natural disaster occurred and the address at which the disaster occurred



Copy of military orders showing dates of deployment, training or service



Statement from employer on company letterhead indicating date of relocation



  • Copy of birth announcement
  • Copy of birth certificate or adoption papers



Letter from childcare provider indicating date of loss of childcare
  • Copy of obituary
  • Copy of memorial service announcement or program
  • Copy of death certificate

Supporting materials must clearly and explicitly describe the unexpected and involuntary change to your circumstances along with an explanation of how it prevented you from dropping or completing a course(s) during the quarter you are requesting the Former Quarter Drop (FQD).


The supporting materials must also indicate how you have resolved these circumstances so that they will not continue to affect your academic progress in the future

UW School Official Support Statements

If you do not have supporting materials suggested on this list, you may have a University of Washington school official, such as an advisor, instructor, or other support person submit a statement on your behalf. Include this statement with your petition or they may send it to


If you do not have supporting materials to upload, review the instructions section below on “No Support Materials Available”

No Supporting Materials Available

If you do not have supporting materials per the above list, your petition will be referred to the FQD Review Board directly. Please upload a second statement indicating that you do not have supporting materials to support your petition.

After Filing

  • Students will be notified by UW email of the Petition Board’s decision.  Allow two weeks after submission for notification. 
  • If there are questions or concerns about submission materials, students will be notified via their UW email. 
  • If the petition is approved, the transcript will show the petitioned course(s) with a grade of “RD” (Registrar Drop). The course will still appear on the transcript, but the “RD” will not be factored into the quarterly or cumulative GPA.
  • Grades cannot be restored once the Former Quarter Drop Petition has been granted. 
  • No details of the circumstances will be shared outside the Petition Board. 

Beyond the One Year Deadline

Students who wish to submit an FQD Petition beyond the one-year deadline must first email their personal petition statement and support from a UW school official to Students will then be instructed to use the Former Quarter Drop submission form to submit your petition, with your personal statement and supporting materials by choosing any of the quarters listed in the pull-down menu and providing the actual quarter in the petition materials.


Campus Support Resources

Nothing is more important than a student’s health and well-being. Students who may be struggling with medical, emotional, or behavioral issues that are impacting their academic success are strongly encouraged to reach out to one of the following resources for support and to help create a plan to address any struggles being experienced. Below are some key resources at the University of Washington Tacoma that can help support students in this regard.