The Graduate School accepts numerical grades in approved 400-level courses accepted as part of the major and in all 500-level courses. The student must earn a minimum grade of 2.7 in each class in order for it to be counted. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for a graduate degree at the university.
4. The minimum residency requirement for matriculated graduate students is 30 credits. Full-time students achieve this by taking 10 credits per quarter and part-time students achieve this by adding credits from multiple quarters. A full quarter of residence is granted for any quarter in which at least 10 credits in approved courses, research, thesis, or internship are satisfactorily completed. Excess credits beyond 10 credits per quarter may not be added together to satisfy the residency requirement.
5. In a thesis degree program, a thesis, approved by the supervisory committee, must be submitted to the Graduate School. A student must register for a minimum of nine credits of thesis (700). With the exception of summer, students are limited to a maximum of nine credits per quarter of thesis (700).
6. A final master’s examination, either oral or written, as determined by the student’s supervisory committee, must be passed if it is a program requirement.
7. Any additional requirements imposed by the graduate program advisor in the student’s major department or by the student’s supervisory committee must be satisfied. A master’s degree student usually takes some work outside the major department. The graduate program coordinator in the major department or the student’s supervisory committee determines the requirements for the minor or supporting courses.
8. The graduate student must apply for the master’s degree within the first seven weeks of the quarter in which he or she expects the degree to be conferred. See Graduate Degree Application Process.
9. The graduate student must maintain registration as a full- or part-time student at the university for the quarter in which the degree is conferred. A student who does not complete all degree requirements by the last day of the quarter must be registered for the following quarter.
10. All work for the master’s degree must be completed within six years. This includes quarters spent on leave or out of status and applicable work transferred from other institutions.
11. A student must satisfy the requirements for the degree that are in force at the time the degree is to be awarded.