Immunization Requirements

Main page content

What is Required?

The University of Washington requires verification of Measles (Rubeola) and Mumps immunity and If you are under the age of 22 as of the first day of classes, you must also provide immunity to Meningococal Quadrivalent (A, C, Y, W-135) as well. All incoming matriculated students taking in-person classes are required to provide proof of immunity as a public health measure in accordance with Centers for Disease Control guidelines. Students must submit proof of immunity in order to attend classes on any campus at the UW.


The information in this section is for new students who are matriculating to UW Tacoma. If you are an incoming, new student, will need to provide your immunizations to the University. You requirement depends on your program of study and your age.

Instructions on how to complete:

We will process these documents as soon as we can. (We can typically process your documents within 1-3 days.)

    Find Your Requirement

    If you are matriculating at UW for the first time, you must prove that you are immune to certain diseases. Your requirement depends on your program of study and your age. Go to the link to Find Your Requirement that pertains to you.  Note: Criminal Justice Online students are required to submit immunizations.

    • Measles (Rubeola) - 2 vaccinations, both administered after the age of one and given at least 28 days apart OR a positive blood (IgG titer) test result. The Rubeola measles IgM titer (blood) test is not accepted.
    • Mumps - 2 vaccinations, both administered after the age of one and given at least 28 days apart OR a positive blood (IgG titer) test result. The Mumps IgM titer (blood) test is not accepted.

    And if you are under age 22 as of the first day of your first quarter of attendance, you must provide evidence of immunity to Meningococcal Quadrivalent (A,C,Y,W-135) as well.

    • Menigococcal Meningitits A, C, W, and Y - One (MCV) vaccination administered after the age of 16. The MPSV vaccine is not accepted.

    Note: If you are in the Social Work program, you will need to meet the Health Sciences Program immunization requirements.

    Students born before January 1, 1957 are considered to be immune to measles and are therefore NOT required submit proof of immunity for measles.

    Sources of Documentation

    The best way to meet the requirement is to take the form to your health care provider to complete together or you can provide immunization records or blood test reports from a doctor, clinic, state, pharmacy, or lab. the documents must have the doctor or medical facility listed as well as the vaccination dates. We do not accept self-reporting documentation as a result or vaccination booklets without the address or location of the administering clinic documented next to the date of the vaccines.


    How to look up my immunization records from a state immunization registry?


    • If you were immunized in Washington State, you may be able to get a copy of your immunizations from the WA State Department of Health website or call 1-866-397-0337, option 5.
    • If you were immunized in another state, visit the CDC web page to locate your state health department.


    For documents in languages other than English


    Students can translate documents themselves to English before submitting. They should hand-write all pertinent information (vaccine names, dates, student name, date of birth, provider name, provider contact info) on their documents.


    Where can I go to obtain records, vaccines or tests?

    • At your regular physicians office. Immunizations, blood tests and shot records may be obtained at your regular physicians office.
    • As an enrolled student, you may also visit one of the CHI Franciscan Prompt Care Offices that serve current/enrolled UW Tacoma students during regular business hours. Staff there can help you access your records, get you immunized, or perform (titer) lab tests to see if you are immune. For more information about CHI Franciscan Prompt Care locations and hours, see our Student Health Services page.
    • In addition, there are many pharmacies that will give out immunization shots, but check with them for pricing and availability as prices do vary by location.

    For Military Service Members and Veterans

    Providing proof of immunity is easier for Military Service members and Veterans. If you were previously a member of the armed forces, but you do not have access to your medical record, you may submit form DD-214 (Report of Separation) in lieu of the documents listed above. Active duty military may use eVetRecs or request records by mail or fax.

    Incomplete records may cause delays in your future quarter registration process

    Please check your health form and your immunization record to be sure they are complete. It's helpful to put your name, date of birth and student number on all photocopies of immunization records.

    If you do not submit your immunizations prior to your second quarter registration date, a hold will be placed on your registration until we receive your documentation.

    In the event of a measles outbreak on campus, students who have not previously submitted proof of immunity to measles may be barred from classes and other campus activities until health officials determine that there is no risk of them transmitting the disease to others.

    Questions regarding immunizations should be directed to Hall Health Center.