Understanding Washington Residency

Main page content


In order for University of Washington students to be considered residents for tuition purposes, they first must be able to prove that they are U.S. citizens, have U.S. permanent resident cards, or have a qualifying visa (A, E, G, H1, I, K or L).

To be classified or reclassified as residents, for tuition and fee purposes, students must establish a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington primarily for purposes other than education for the period of one year immediately prior to classification as residents.

Nonresident students who are enrolled for more than 6 credits a quarter will be presumed to be in the state of Washington for primarily educational purposes. Such period of enrollment shall not be counted toward the establishment of a bona fide domicile of one year in this state unless the students prove they have, in fact, established a bona fide domicile in this state primarily for purposes other than education.

Residency Guideline Sources

Washington state residency guidelines are outlined in legislation. For a more detailed explanation of residence classification, please use the following links to read the relevant Revised Code of Washington and Washington Administrative Code:

 Secure Document Upload |  email: uwtpetitions@uw.edu  |  Mon-Fri  8am-5pm