Faculty interested in seeking funding for their research are encouraged to make an appointment with the Office Of Research at UW Tacoma to discuss their research goals and funding sources. The following list of funding sources is not comprehensive, but is meant to be a starting point in seeking funding.
Internal grants: UW System
- UW Royalty Research Fund
- UW Global Innovation Fund
- UW Population Health Pilot Grants
- UW Innovation Awards
- UW Undergraduate Research Program
- UW Simpson Center for the Humanities
- Institute for Translational Health Sciences
- Amazon Catalyst
- UW Provost Bridge Funding Program
- Life Sciences Discovery Fund
- Office of the Superintendent for Public Instruction - iGrants
- Department of Ecology (at the bottom of the page)
- City of Tacoma Public Works
- Unified Federal Grant Site
- National Science Foundation
- Department of Education
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- National Institutes of Health
- UW Tacoma Office of Advancement
The Office of Advancement manages relationships with private donors and foundations. Funding from private sources can be a gift or a grant. In the case of a gift, the Office of Research would not be involved, but in the case of a grant, please contact us to discuss the funding plan.
- Foundation Center
UW Tacoma maintains a membership to the Foundation Directory Online, which can be accessed at consoles in the UW Tacoma Library . The Foundation Center provides a robust database of information about foundations and their funding patterns and opportunities. Please visit the UW Tacoma Library site to learn how to access this resource. The UW Tacoma Library also provides a circulating collection of grant-writing resources.
- Greater Tacoma Community Foundation
- The Grants Resource Center (GRC) – a unit of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities – has supported sponsored research programs in higher education since the 1960s. Through our institutional membership you have access to:
-A Faculty Alert Tool that delivers a monthly digest of upcoming funding opportunities customizable by academic subject, funding sponsor, and type of activity. To set the terms of your alert, complete the Faculty Alert Registration Form. In order to do so, you must log in using our institutional membership (user Name: tacoma, password: connection).
-A library of funded proposals, with awarded proposals available by request (through the Office of Research) for 1,500 recurring funding opportunities, including those from the National Science Foundation, Department of Education, Department of Health and Human Services, National Endowment for the Humanities, and private foundations.
-Specialized funding searches conducted by GRC staff upon request.
-Additional resources available to the Office of Research that will equip us in supporting faculty research including a robust searchable database of funding opportunities, faculty training resources, and access to GRC staff expertise.
Please contact Kara Luckey, Research Development Consultant, with any questions about these resources and let us know how we can help you leverage them most effectively for your work!
- Other Funding Search Engines