Note: Students in the PP&E major cannot minor in Economics. This minor is open to students in the Law and Policy major.
The study of economics emphasizes conceptual and analytical thinking. With a minor in Economics, you will gain a solid understanding of economics and its historical, political, environmental and social contexts by learning how to:
- Engage in and employ economic reasoning;
- Examine and explain the economics behind current events;
- Analyze the relationship between economics and other areas of inquiry.
As an Economics minor, your studies prepare you for careers in teaching, journalism, business and law, as well as for admission to graduate programs in public policy, law, business, international relations, journalism, and related fields.
Economics Minor requirements (25 credits)
All minors must be completed with a 2.0 minor GPA. Students may request to transfer up to 10 credits to be applied toward the courses fulfilling the minor.
Core courses (10 credits)
Elective courses (15 credits)
15 credits from upper-division courses (300 - 400 level) from the economics track of the Politics, Philosophy, and Economics (PP&E) major. Only 5 credits from TBECON 420, TBECON 421, TBECON 422, or TBECON 423 may count towards the minor.
- TBECON 420 Intermediate Microeconomic Theory*
- TBECON 421 Intermediate Macroeconomic Theory*
- TBECON 422 Econometrics*
- TBECON 423 Financial Markets and Institutions*
- TECON 313 Theories of Economic Development and Social Change
- TECON 316 Current Issues in U.S. Public Policy (formerly TECON 416)
- TECON 320 Gender and Development
- TECON 321 Economics of Education (formerly TECON 420)
- TECON 325 Contemporary Issues in International Political Economy (formerly TECON 425)
- TECON 332 Rise of East Asia
- TECON 350 Economic History of Europe
- TECON 360 Poverty in Developing Countries
- TECON 361 Current Issues in the Chinese Economy (formerly TECON 461)
- TECON 362 China's Rise and its Global Economic Implications (formerly TECON 460)
- TECON 370 Economics and Social Mobility
- TECON 394 Comparative Economic Development
- TECON 401 Topics in Economic History
- TECON 410 Economics of Public Policy
- TECON 417 Political Economy of India
- TECON 418 Urban Problems and Policies
- TECON 421 Environmental Policy
- TECON 430 Behavioral Economics
- TECON 440 Global Economic Challenges
- TECON 441 International Economics (formerly TECON 340)
- TECON 450 Labor Economics and Policy
- TECON 470 Economics of Health and Health Policy
- TECON 480 Seminar in Economic Analysis
- TGEOG 349 Geography and International Trade
- TPOLS 330 International Political Economy of Latin America
- TPOLS 460 Political Economy of European Union
*Only 5 credits of TBECON 420, TBECON 421, TBECON 422, or TBECON 423 may count towards the minor.
Declare a minor by completing the Request to Declare/Change a Major or Minor form and submitting it to the Office of the Registrar. You must have earned a minimum of 45 credits and declared a major before declaring a minor. If you have any questions about this process, please see your advisor.
To request changes or updates to this page, please use our Web Edit Request Form.