This program prepares the modern photographer to enter the complex and exciting world of entrepreneurship. Students will learn the ins and outs of the intricate, ever-changing and rewarding business of professional photography.
The course will cover aspects of many photographic disciplines, including portrait, wedding, advertising, photojournalism, fine art and more. The goal of this program is to help you clearly define and improve your personal style, enhance creative skills, as well as study proven successful business practices. By combining the craft of photography with business acumen, use proven strategies to achieve financial success pursuing your passion.
Please note this program follows a cohort-model and enrollment in course order is required.
Personal Style & Photographic Technique
Through hands-on and in-class discussions, you will:
- Develop and/or improve your technical skills and business acumen.
- Define and hone your visual style.
- Explore sound business practices to locate and enter your chosen market.
- Be immersed in the history photography, learning how to apply it to develop a unique personal style.
- Explore image organization and introduction to Adobe Lightroom
- Receive basic-level introduction to Adobe Photoshop.
- Master technical skills, including hands-on practice and a day of location shooting.
- Meet with noted guest speakers that will inspire and instruct.
Practicum & Mentorship
This term will focus on field assignments and independent study of photo software systems. Students will receive a constructive critique of their winter portfolio project in one-on-one sessions with the instructor.
Success in Business
In the third term of the photography certificate, students will bring it all together:
- Further develop and apply your personal style.
- Study the business skills needed to start or expand a successful business.
- Guest lecturers will demonstrate their paths to success.
- Complete an eye-catching portfolio.
- Participate in a exhibition at the end of the quarter.
Who would benefit from this program?
Are you a working photographer, aspiring professional, or a passion-driven amateur looking to explore the possibility of a creative career? Whether you're just starting out on this path, switching fields/genres or a self-employed photographer looking to gain the skills necessary to evaluate your business practices, Art and Business of Photography is a great fit for you.
|Fall||Sat 09/28/2019 - 11/09/2019||10:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.|
|Spring||Sat 04/04/2020 - 05/16/2020||10:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.|
No application required.
Students should have a solid understanding of how a DSLR camera functions. Familiarity with camera settings, including aperture priority, shutter priority and manual exposure are encouraged prior to the start of Fall Term.
Students will need to provide their own camera equipment; i.e. a DSLR camera, tripod, Photoshop and Lightroom. Please contact us for more details: email@example.com.
Most of our certificate programs allows students the ability to start a certificate with any course in the program - whether it starts Fall Term, Winter Term or Spring Term. However, this program follows the cohort model and requires students to take all three courses in order. This requirement ensures maximum benefit for individual students and the class as a whole. Upon successful completion of all program requirements, participants earn a Certificate in Art and Business of Photography from the University of Washington Tacoma and 70 hours or 7 Continuing Education Units (CEUs). Participants must meet the minimum standard of 80% for attendance and completion of coursework.
Davis Freeman has worked with brands from the likes of Polaroid, applying his photographic vision to fine art, editorial and commercial endeavours for decades. Teaching and learning with fellow photographers is one of his greatest passions. Learn more about Davis and view his portfolio here.
$2,997 for the entire certificate program
$399-1,299 per term
Classes meet Saturdays
This program meets at: UW Tacoma