In our world today, being able to identify, evaluate, and prepare mitigation strategies for a variety of risks can be the dividing line between success and hardship. This 10-week course is an opportunity to learn the core principles of operational, supply chain, and cyber risk management and how to conduct realistic risk assessments and risk treatment plans. You’ll learn how to better handle scenarios you encounter regularly in your organization – as well as those you haven’t encountered yet.
Built on key concepts from PMBOK Section 11 Project Risk Management and several National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) risk management frameworks, Practical Risk Management is taught by professionals and subject matter experts with industry experience in the latest risk management tools and techniques. They lead students through discussions of real-life case studies, team projects, and a final team evaluation of risk management scenarios using an engaging tabletop exercise with a focus on practical risk management skills.
Course topics include:
- theories and methods of risk management, risk methodologies, end-to-end risk assessment (RA)
- risk management planning (RM)
- governance, risk management and compliance (GRC), risk reporting
- risk intelligence, risk indicators, strategic and operational risk
- using data analytics to surface risks and assess results
- ISO/IEC 27001
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Use risk theory to identify and evaluate risks facing a business.
- Develop strategies and comprehensive programs to account for and mitigate risks using case studies.
- Demonstrate how risk assessment and management methods may be used to solve real-world risk management challenges.
- Develop and use Integrated Process Teams and Case Study methods to address risk management challenges.
Who would benefit from this program?
Anyone who is interested in or responsible for the identification, evaluation and mitigation of supply chain risk management. This includes those serving as Procurement Supervisors and Managers, Production Supervisors and Managers, Business and System Analysts, and other professionals responsible for preparing their operations to face and overcome risk.
This program is not exam preparation for any particular risk management certification and does not cover financial risk.
Some college experience recommended.
Experience using Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint. This course includes required online components - internet access required.
|Term||Location||Dates||Times||Early Bird Deadline|
|Winter||Online||02/10/21 - 04/07/21||6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. plus online teamwork||01/26/2021|
Early Bird: $1899
Classes meet weekdays
This program meets at: Virtually or at UW Tacoma
J. Tom McGoogan, MS, MBA, is a cybersecurity product development specialist for government and private sector information-sharing programs at Boeing. He leads cybersecurity use case studies and risk management efforts for the company’s airplane products, ground services and manufacturing processes. Previously, he served as a cybersecurity incident coordinator at Boeing, facilitating information sharing and analysis for Department of Defense and Department of Homeland Security cybersecurity programs. He also serves as an executive committee member on the DHS Critical Manufacturing Sector Coordinating Council and is Boeing’s industry adviser to UW Tacoma.