Students in the Electrical Engineering (EE) program develop critical knowledge of the technology of electricity to create cutting-edge hardware devices and systems.
The EE program admits qualified students for autumn quarter only. The application typically opens in late winter/early spring.
When planning your academic path, we encourage you to use our EE degree planning grid.
Admission to the major is competitive. Please review the following prerequisites and application process carefully.
To qualify for admission to the EE program, applicants must first be admitted to the University of Washington Tacoma and have completed the following required prerequisites:
- Calculus I (TMATH 124), Calculus II (TMATH 125), Calculus III (TMATH 126)
- Differential Equations (TMATH 307)
- Matrix/Linear Algebra (TMATH 308)
- Physics I (TPHYS 121), Physics II (TPHYS 122), Physics III (TPHYS 123)*
- Electrical Circuits (TCES 215 - must have AC/DC)
- 10 credits of computer programming coursework (Java and C languages strongly recommended)
* If the physics series is completed at UW Tacoma, no additional lab science is required. Transfer students may need one additional approved lab-based science course (Chemistry I -TCHEM 142 or Biology I - TBIOL 120) to meet the total number of lab science credits required (18 minimum) for graduation.
Required cumulative prerequisite GPA of at least 2.5, with a minimum grade of 2.0 in each individual prerequisite course. Required minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all college coursework.
Transfer students at WA State community colleges are encouraged to pursue the Associate in Science - Transfer Track 2 to meet the admission requirements. Use the UW Course Equivalency Guide to determine the equivalent prerequisites at your school.
Complete the following steps to apply to the EE major:
- If you are not currently a UWT student, apply for admission to UW Tacoma well before the EE program application deadline.
- Once admitted to UWT, submit the EE program application by the deadline stated on the website. You must be admitted to UWT and have a UW student ID number in order to submit your EE application.
- Contact a SET advisor or schedule an appointment if you have questions about the application process or your eligibility to apply. Students with previous baccalaureate degrees or extensive computing work experience should meet with an advisor to discuss options.
Applicants are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Completion of all prerequisite courses.
- Grades in prerequisite courses -- individually and cumulatively. Competitive applicants will have earned at least a 2.5 in each prerequisite course
- Overall previous academic performance.
- Completion of at least 45 college-level credits.