The Computer Science and Systems (CSS) program emphasizes the theoretical foundation and practical experience necessary for a career in the challenging and rewarding profession of software design, development, and maintenance.
The CSS program admits qualified students for autumn and winter quarters only. The autumn quarter application is open from early February to July 1. The winter application is open all of autumn quarter (late September to mid-December).
Prerequisites - Bachelor of Science in CSS
To qualify for admission to the *Bachelor of Science in CSS, applicants must first be admitted to the University of Washington Tacoma and have completed the following required prerequisites:
- Calculus I (TMATH 124 or equivalent)
- Calculus 2 (TMATH 125 or equivalent)
- Any lab-based science course (except Astronomy)
- Introduction to Programming (TCSS 142 or equivalent)
- Object-Oriented Programming (TCSS 143 or equivalent)
*Students preparing to apply to the BA in CSS should consult the degree planning grid for the required prerequisite courses and degree requirements. The main difference in admission requirements is that BA applicants do not need to take Calculus 2 but do need a statistics course to meet the math admission requirements.
Required cumulative prerequisite GPA of at least 2.5, with a minimum grade of 2.0 in each individual prerequisite. Required minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all college coursework.
Transfer students at WA State community colleges should use the UW Equivalency Guide to determine course equivalencies at their school.
Please note: Admission to the CSS program is capacity-constrained. Students who are admitted to the program typically have grades of 3.0 and higher in prerequisite math, science, and computer science courses as well as a strong cumulative grade point average.
Complete the following steps to apply to the CSS major:
- If you are not currently a UWT student, apply for admission to UW Tacoma well before the CSS program application deadline.
- Once admitted to UWT, submit the CSS program application by the deadline stated on the website. You must be admitted to UWT and have a UW student ID number in order to submit your CSS application.
- Contact a SET advisor or schedule an appointment if you have questions about the application process or your eligibility to apply. Students with previous baccalaureate degrees or extensive computing work experience should meet with an advisor to discuss options.
Admission Selection Criteria
As stated above, CSS is a capacity-constrained major, which means we normally have more applications than space in the program. Competitive applicants typically have grades of 3.0 and higher in prerequisite math, science, and computer science courses, as well as a strong cumulative GPA.
Applicants are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Completion of all prerequisite courses
- Grades in prerequisite courses -- individually and cumulatively
- Overall previous academic performance, consistency in grades, repeats and grade trends are all considered
- Completion of at least 45 college-level credits
Please note the the CSS application does not require a personal statement at this time. Letters of recommendation are not accepted.