UW Tacoma Master of Cyber Security and Leadership
GRE Waiver Policy
Upon presentation of the needed documents, the GRE requirement for admission is waived for applicants who meet any of the following criteria:
1. The GRE requirement is waived for applicants who possess a terminal degree from an accredited institution. Examples of terminal degrees include the Ph.D., Ed. D, and other degrees deemed equivalent to these by the MCL Council.
2. The GRE requirement is also waived for applicants who have previously completed a Masters’ degree from a regionally accredited university with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
3. The GRE requirement is waived for graduates of an AACSB accredited Business School or ABET accredited engineering school who earned a 3.25 or higher on a 4.0 scale in their final 90 graded quarter/60 graded semester credits.
4. The GRE requirement is also waived for applicants possessing active CISSP certification.
5. For students, graduating in majors outside of business or engineering, the GRE requirement is waived for graduates of regionally accredited US Universities whose business program is accredited by the AACSB or whose engineering program is accredited by ABET and who earned a 3.4 or higher on a 4.0 scale in their final 90 graded quarter/60 graded semester credits.
6. The University of Washington, Tacoma is a military friendly university and we value both the service and the leadership experience gained in that environment. As such, the GRE requirement is waived for non-commissioned officers who attained a rank of E-5 or higher and possess 5 or more years of active duty military service and graduated from a regionally accredited US University with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. The GRE requirement is also waived for commissioned officers with 3 or more years of active duty military service who graduated from a regionally accredited US University with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
7. In addition, applicants may petition to waive the GRE requirement if they can demonstrate at least 5 years of full-time post-baccalaureate professional experience in position(s) requiring supervisory decision-making and leadership. Experience based waivers are not automatic and are subject to a review by the MCL Admission Committee.
Waiver Request Procedures
Applicants must submit a written request asking that the above items evidenced in their application file be considered as a substitute for GRE scores. The committee’s decision on waiver of GRE is final and the committee reserves the right to request applicants to submit a GRE score. Waiver requests should include the following:
1. Copies of unofficial transcripts.
2. Proof of CISSP certification when applicable.
3. Copy of relevant diplomas.
4. Current resume or CV that includes specific job duties and functions of each position highlighting your career progression.
5. Proof of military experience and rank where applicable.
6. Written GRE waiver request that outlines:
a. All quantitative coursework taken at the college level
b. Current job responsibilities that indicate quantitative preparedness and analytical skills
c. Professional growth and career progression
Waiver requests should be submitted electronically to the MCL Advisor. The advisor will review and make sure your materials are complete and will forward to the admission committee for review. Waiver requests are competitive and reviewed holistically. The committee’s decision on waiver of GRE is final. A GRE waiver approval is valid for one year and those granted a waiver are expected to apply within one year of such waiver being granted.