The Teaching, Learning, and Justice minor is designed to assist students to focus on courses that may help them fulfill requirements for entry into UW Tacoma’s Education Program Teacher Certification Program. For more information about the Education and Community Engagement minor, please contact an academic advisor or email email@example.com. The Teaching, Learning, and Justice minor requires 30 credits:
Requirements: 30 credits
Teaching, Learning, and Justice Core: 15 credits
- All three courses below:
* See Additional Information for students wishing to continue to the Teacher Certification Program below for more details.
Writing-intensive courses: 10 credits
- Two writing-intensive courses:
- e.g. English Composition and Literature (or other writing-intensive course). These courses will fulfill K-8 Teacher Certification Program prerequisite coursework. See program website for Secondary prerequisite coursework.
One Developmental Psychology Course: 5 credits
- Either select One of the following courses (or equivalent transfer course) to fulfill the Developmental Psychology coursework for the K-8 with English Language Learners (ELL) Certification or K-8 with K-12 Special Education Certification:
- Or select One course to fulfill the Developmental psychology coursework for the Secondary Math or Science Certification.
Additional Information for students wishing to continue to the Teacher Certification Program:
- Students should meet with a program advisor before enrolling in classes.
- Any course taken for the purpose of fulfilling a Teacher Certification program curriculum requirement or prerequisite must be passed with a 2.7 minimum grade.
- TEDUC 471 and TEDUC 482 (2.7 grade or higher and must have been taken in academic year 2012-2013, or later, to qualify) will count as equivalent courses for two of the courses within our Teacher Certification Program, TEDUC 520 and TEDUC 501, respectively. NOTE: If not taken as part of the Education minor, TEDUC 471 and TEDUC 482 (same restrictions as above) will still count as equivalent courses for TEDUC 520 and TEDUC 501.
- The Teacher Certification Program requires 40 hours(minimum) of documented experience in a public school classroom or group instructional setting within the last 5 years. The experience should closely match the age level you wish to teach. This requirement must be completed by the time the program begins in summer quarter. TEDUC 490 will fulfill this requirement. For summer 2020 applicants only: Due to the lack of access to group instructional settings in the spring quarter, we are waiving this requirement until further notice.
- For additional information, please see the Benefits of Declaring a Teaching, Learning and Justice Minor webpage.