Xi Pi (ΞΠ) Chapter
Through Knowledge – The Challenge to Serve
The purpose of Phi Alpha Honor Society is to provide a closer bond among students of social work and promote humanitarian goals and ideals. Phi Alpha fosters high standards of education for social workers and invites into membership those who have attained excellence in scholarship and achievement in social work.
Qualifications for membership
All social work majors who meet the criteria outlined below may be eligible for consideration as a member of Phi Alpha and are invited to submit an application. An induction ceremony is held once a year for new members.
- Must be and remain a declared social work major
- Must have achieved junior status.
- Must have completed 12-quarter hours of required social work courses.
- Must have achieved an overall grade point average of 3.8 at UWT.
- Must have achieved a 3.8 grade point average in required social work courses.
- Complete one quarter of course work with a minimum of six social work credits
- Rank in the top 35% of your class
Note: Xi Pi Chapter membership qualifications differ from the national minimum qualifications.
Application due February 15, 2021
Minimum requirements for maintaining annual membership
- Attendance at two official Phi Alpha meetings
- Participation in online meetings and email newsgroup
- Participation in at least one Phi Alpha function (i.e., guest lectures, community service, conferences, etc.)
Benefits of membership
- Becoming a member of a nationally recognized organization that supports high standards in social work education.
- Being honored with a medallion, honor cords and/or a certificate prior to your graduation ceremony.
- Participation in scholarly activities and social action events.
- Working together with student colleagues and professors on social issues and creating a scholarly environment at the University of Washington Tacoma.
- Identification in your resume or vitae as a Phi Alpha Honor Society member, which adds acknowledgement of academic excellence and open doors for professional success.
Announcing the Montgomery Scholarship for Social Work Students
The Montgomery Scholarship wishes to encourage BASW and MSW student leadership and excellence and aid students struggling with the financial undertaking of higher education. Preference will be given to scholarship applicants who are members of Phi Alpha and have the highest financial need. For more information, please see the Montgomery Scholarship webpage.
- Nicole Vaughn, President
- Joshua Lamere, Vice President
- Cassie Hickson, Secretary
- Reyna Lamere, Treasurer
- Vacant, Member-at-Large
The Xi Pi Chapter is administered by student officers, consisting of president, vice president, secretary and treasurer. Students who believe they may be eligible for membership should review the chapter bylaws and constitution and submit an application for consideration.
► For more information on the Xi Pi Chapter of Phi Alpha, contact the faculty advisor, Dr. JaeRan Kim.