Home Provider Information

Main page content


You must meet all of the following conditions to qualify:

  • Have a spare bedroom(s) in your home to rent out in exchange for redered services and/or retn.
  • Complete an application, background check ($25 fee) and an intake appointment with Shared Housing Services.
  • Want to help UW Tacoma student obtain safe, affordable housing while they are in erolled in school.



Step 1: Complete an online application. In the Compatibility section, add that you would like a "UW Tacoma student" under the "What kind of person would you be compatible with?" field. If you are also open to International students, state so here.

Step 2: Complete the criminal background check. Background checks are completed at Shared Housing Services’ offices (arrangements can be made to complete the background check at the home for Providers if need be) and must be done within 30 days of submitting the application.

Step 3: Shared Housing Services  will conduct an intake on all Home Providers/Home Seekers to determine needs, requirements and compatibility of lifestyles to begin   the home share referral process.

Step 4: When a referral is made, the Provider and Seeker begin a dialogue to get to know  each other.

Step 5: If a home share match is made, the Provider and Seeker negotiate their living arrangements and document the negotiated arrangements on a Homeshare Agreement form (provided by Shared Housing Services).


How long does it take?

The application process including the application, background check, and intake takes a minimum of seven days. Referrals for potential home share matches are criteria-based, and is dependent on the needs of both the Home Provider and the Home Seeker as well as the availability of homes with open rooms.

If immediate housing is needed, please contact the Office of Student Advocacy and Support for resources for emergency/ transitional housing in the area.

Is Homesharing safe?

For over 27 years, Shared Housing Services’ Adult Homesharing program has been providing safe, comfortable, and beneficial home share situations throughout Pierce County. Conducting multi-state criminal background checks and one-on-one, in-person interviews allow for proper vetting and referring of potential home sharers and is much safer than answering a listing online or an ad in the newspaper.

Do I have to be a University of Washington alum or student to be a Home Provider?

No, you do not have to be a student or graduate of the University of Washington to apply for becoming a Home Provider, but you must be willing to house a current UW Tacoma student to be a Home Provider in the Husky2Husky Homesharing Program.

I can only commit to short-term housing, can I still help?

Absolutly! IF you would like to provide short-term or emergency/transitional housing, please contact the Office of Student Advocacy and Support.

Who determines the rent?

All arrangements, financial and/or rendered services are negotiated between the Home Provider and the Home Seeker based on the individual needs of each party.

Can Home Providers have a spouse, partner, other roommates or other family members living in the home?

Yes, but each person that lives in the home will need to complete a separate background check form before referrals can be made.

What if the referral for a home share situation seems like it WON’T be a good fit?

The referral is just an introduction for a home share situation based off submitted criteria to be mutually beneficial to both sides. If a Provider/Seeker does not feel safe or comfortable   with the each other, they can ask to receive another referral.   If another referral is not available at that time, you will be placed on the active list to wait for a new referral when one becomes available.

What if I experience a problem while sharing a home?

If you experience a conflict with the person you are home sharing with, contact the Office of Student Advocacy and Support staff at UW Tacoma or the staff at Shared Housing services for guidance and possible conflict resolution.

For additional questions about the Husk2Husky Homsesharing program and/or homesharing in general please contact:

Student Advocacy & Support  |  stusuppt@uw.edu  

Shared Housing Services  | shstacomapc@harbornet.com